ATWC69 Luxembourg ELLX - Brussels EBBR

So here we are in the Low Countries or 'Benelux' as it is also known. I will be flying the baton in our antepenultimate flight from 'Lux' to 'Be' (See what I did there?) 

JG and Bill were propping up the bar looking rather smug after piloting in those EE Lightnings, boy they were noisy (The aircraft that is). After declining one for the road I collected the baton and started to look around for an aircraft to hire.

So armed only with 40 pence I was hoping to get a cheap rental, the credit card has taken a real pounding and wasn't accepting any new purchases. Aha! I thought as I spotted a BBMF Chippy landing, so I sought out it's pilot. Oh dear it was the eccentric Sqdn Leader The Reverend Charlie `Drooper' Hyper-Squawk Smith. I know I would have to listen to some of his banter before asking a favour.

Morning, Squadron Leader, How was it?

Top hole! Jump in Mutters. Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.

Slower banter, sir? Ah! I get it. I needed to formulate a response to get him interested..

Bunch of monkeys on your ceiling? Sir! Grab your egg and fours and let's get the bacon delivered! (Surely he means 'Baton'.....Ed)

That did the trick and we would soon be on our way. (Thanks to Monty Python)
a.jpg~original

Hyper-Squawk Smith had me sit in the front, 'Flashing light, in the pulpit, home pronto, hurrah!' So I advanced the throttle with trepidation. 
b.jpg~original

Chippy still left the ground much quicker than I thought she would, 'Piece of cake, angels 4 Chiefy'
d.jpg~original

'What did you do in the war?' he barked, 'Arse end Charlie no doubt' I can just feel this short hop is going to turn out to be a long haul. 
e.jpg~original

Ahh! I hear snoring coming from the back, short lived, it didn't stop the banter..
f.jpg~original

Ok chummy, bugger me, damn twitch, watch your 6, beer lever forward!
g.jpg~original

I pushed the nose forward, hurrah! I could see Brussels on the horizon.
h.jpg~original

Eek, Spiny Norman off the starboard wing.
j.jpg~original

Brusselsprouts, yakity yakity, bloody waste of time!
k.jpg~original

With the airfield in site Hyper-Squawk Smith started to dribble and with a loud sneeze he managed a follow through at the same time, yuck.
l.jpg~original

Wizzo, downhill, mind your wind. You mind yours I thought.
m.jpg~original

That was spawny Mutters, get some ground wallah to tie her up and take me to the NAAFI pronto
n.jpg~original

No I didn't understand this post either, never has fresh air smelt so good.

Over to you Chuck!

• Like 1

Sorry Mutters, Didn't  understand your banter old man!

Sounds like you had a wizard wheeze in the chippers, see any cabbage crates over the custard?

I could actually picture what the old nutter looked like

ace.jpg~original

Something like this? 

That's it! Just add a leather helmet and goggles. :D

" Well of course Mr... err... Mr Mutley... err... I think that's his name did a very fine... err... job of getting me to err... Brussels wherever that is in his little plane err... I think it was called a squirrel or hedgehog or something... Anyway... poor chap... was rather quiet... said something about all my medals and scrambled egg being overweight. When we took orff we missed a tree by this much... cutting it fine what? Another scotch... err... William... about that much if you would... and where the devil's your brother... at some disco in in a German uniform no doubt...