Leg 71 - London City Airport (EGLC) to Southampton (EGHI)

Finally, after a couple of months struggling with technical difficulties and scenery issues, the PIREP of our group flight from London to Southampton is finished!!!

Enjoy the 25 minute movie below, at the time of writing this the HD version isn't available on YouTube but it should be within the hour. If you're impatient you'll have do make do with the 360p version..

And as I say in the ending credits, a great big Thank You to all the pilots that took part in the adventure and to Joe for letting me lead the Challenge. It's great fun to plan it, and even more fun to read all the crazy stories told by the participants!!

If Joe will let me I'll gladly sort out ATWC 6 some time in the future, but for now just enjoy the fact that we did it again ;)

• Like 2

And I've been doing it wrong all these years, actually landing on the runway. :D

What a great adventure, fantastic stories. Well done all who took part and Mikke for putting the vid together. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Now I know why I don't fly online.

Thanks Micke,

I know it was a really long and arduous task to have got this video made and a sincere big thanks from me... but it was worth it!

To anyone looking in, most of the landings were on the tarmac but the differing sceneries of the contributing pilots result in it not always looking correct from Micke's point of view when recording the flight. (Sounds like a good excuse for some dodgy flying :D )

Great sound track and a great end to the challenge, thanks and a great job well done mate!  :clapping:  :ok:  :dance3:  :dancea:  :yahoo:

Here's to 6, but let's enjoy Christmas first!

Cheers.. Joe

Madness and mayhem over the UK the headlines read. :D  Looked like tons of fun, saddened that I missed it. :(  On the up side, there is always next year. :)  

Great work Mikael, a thoroughly entertaining video and well worth all the work you put into it, a delightful ending to an enjoyable ATWC. :)

Thanks to everyone that piloted us across the globe, it was a pleasure flying with you all. :yesa:

I just followed everyone else (becuase I forgot to load the flightplan!). The navigator didn't want to fly when I said who we were flying with.....

Superb video Mikael - an excellent afternoon's flying and well captured. Some of those incidents were a tad close!

Thanks everyone!

As Joe said, most of those off-runway landings are down to differences in the scenery used by the different Pilots. Most, but not all  ;) Since you see the world as it is on your own installation it will differ from what a different user sees on his machine. I think me, Andrew and John were using FTX England and the others were on something else.

@Joe: I totally agree, we'll wait until at least after Christmas.. perhaps even until after Easter next year. After all, we (I) first need to get a route ready  ;)

@Dai: Ah, so the single malts are still untouched... I must drop by sometime then  ;)

@Kieran: You really need to be more stern with your staff... refusing to fly isn't really an option ;) and some of those "incidents" should really have been catastrophic disasters in a different situation ;)

John, I noticed that you managed to land in someone backyard. Now I know the Red Arrows do fly by requests for weddings en route to shows. Did you honour a request to light their barbeque? :D

I'm in the queue behind you and Matt for next years fun and games. :thum:  

I just assumed he wanted some cover behind those trees to dispose of some liquid ballast from his internal tanks  :whis:

John, I noticed that you managed to land in someone backyard. Now I know the Red Arrows do fly by requests for weddings en route to shows. Did you honour a request to light their barbeque? :D

I think you need to watch the video again... we were no where close to London Bridge... ;)

The gouge in Tower Bridge I guess I need to take responsibility for though... I'll make sure I sign it next time I visit London ;)

Still, that pass of the Bridge was way better than my first attempt where I managed to hit the bridge, skim the surface of the Thames and collide with the HMS Belfast :whis:

Fortunately for me and my reputation I couldn't use that recording at all for different reasons...

Who is going to sign that gouge in the london bridge? :D

Nice video...looked like hella fun.

I must get in on the ATWC-6.

• Like 1

Ahem.. Just practicing my FOP combat landings.... cough!

I am fairly new to the Harrier, it is very easy to lose thrust when you are close to the ground, if you do, you are in trouble as the command to response time of the engine is not immediate. 

My last landing nearly came a cropper too. So hard was I concentrating on taxiing the aircraft at a hover that I almost forgot to lower the gear!

I think you need to watch the video again... we were no where close to London Bridge... ;)

The gouge in Tower Bridge I guess I need to take responsibility for though... I'll make sure I sign it next time I visit London ;)

Still, that pass of the Bridge was way better than my first attempt where I managed to hit the bridge, skim the surface of the Thames and collide with the HMS Belfast :whis:

Fortunately for me and my reputation I couldn't use that recording at all for different reasons...

Who is going to sign that gouge in the london bridge? :D

Nice video...looked like hella fun.

I must get in on the ATWC-6.

Ok, ok...it's a fair cop, I do NOT know European geography or landmarks. :)

Thus I hereby pinky promise not to jump on anyone who calls the Golden Gate Bridge the San Francisco Bridge. :D However, if anyone calls it the SF. Bay Bridge, I'll have to call foul as the SF to Oakland bridge is in fact the "Bay Bridge"....NOT to be confused of course with the Richardson Bay Bridge which spans between Marin County and Richmond. Then the Dumbarton and San Mateo bridges, although they also span the South Bay, are easy to not get wrong...because no one ever talks about them unless there is an accident on the spans.

And I wish I could see the referenced previous attempt to thread the Tower Bridge, that sounds like it was exciting :D