Rex release REX Soft Clouds

PHOENIX, AZ – REX GAME STUDIOS is pleased to announce the release of REX Soft Clouds!  

REX Soft Clouds is the new volumetric-like soft cloud texture add-on for FSX, PREPAR3D and FSX:Steam Edition. Get ready to be amazed! This soft cloud pack gives a true volumetric feel to your flight simulator clouds.

REX Soft Clouds takes advantage of the core features of PREPAR3D v2 while realistically enhancing the FSX, FSX-Steam Edition and PREPAR3D v.1.4 cloud environment. This package is compiled from years of feedback from current REX customers to meet a specific demand! You will truly experience volumetric haze and fog as never before seen within a flight simulator environment.

REX Soft Clouds is tailored to low and high-end systems alike. You may easily switch between simulator preference (FSX, FSX-Steam Edition, P3Dv1.4 & P3Dv2) and is fully network capable.

See the difference that REX Soft Clouds will bring to your flight simulator experience by visiting the dedicated website page at: http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/soft.html

Without having tested myself, I imagine that now you can get better AND softer clouds... :whis:

There are many flightsim products that confuses me as well (incl. REX). And a lot of confusing manuals that comes with them. And some EULA stuff as well.. Confusing. Just read some P3D thread. 

So, does anyone know if this addon is supposed to work with other REX addons or if its a texture set that enhances default clouds?

This looks like it could be great...but I don't see any screens of my biggest Cloud Concern....low level ground fog...that top "Sharp Edge" that only softens when you get down into it.

Does this cloud pack fix that? I see a shot of a city shrouded in fog...is that what low ground fog will look like in the mountains too?

Also...does work on top of the REX Texture Direct as a sort of upgrade by replacing it's cloud textures? Or is this a stand-alone used instead of Rex Teture Direct?

Would appreciate any Dev feedback or from anyone who has this already.

Cheers.

Just to confuse you further :P

It is not the same as Rex4Texture Direct.

You do not need to have Texture Direct to have Soft Clouds, it can be run as a standalone option.

Soft Clouds gives you merely a set of 'soft' low level cloud options that work in the same way as the Texture Direct clouds (they replace the same textures).

I think the killer question in all this is not really the cloud textures, it is how they are displayed in the sim through your weather engine in particular weather circumstances. All weather engines will of course display them slightly differently, and of course fanboys for each engine will undoubtedly claim theirs does the best job!

So, since its a cheap addon, the best advice is just to buy and try, as waiting for any objective analysis is likely to prove fruitless, unless someone is willing to post a series of shots showing a range of weather, but with the exact same weather in the same place, in multiple weather engines, each with multiple different texture sets installed at different times :P

Just dont install it to the same dir as your texture direct install or you'll bork the lot like I did! :P

Cheers K

It seems like most of the folks on this forum are as confused as I am on this topic.

I have to say that I find the REX website very hard to get information from with respect to how their products fit together.  Perhaps they should look to ORBX for an example on how to this.

I find it hard to purchase any more of their products without knowing if; they are complementary compatible or stand alone. :blink2:

Their lack of clarity must be losing them customers, and perhaps annoying others who have effectively bought the same thing twice.  :(

• Like 1

JG. I agree. It is confusing.

I´m interested in the product, but untill I find out what exactly it is, I wait.

Maybe its the kind of program that I like. Some HQ textures that you install into your texture folder, start your real weather engine and of we go??

Letting the Real weather put things where they are supposed to be and the textures make it look right?

The freeware textures that I´m using now, more or less do that, so maybe I should just forget about this addon and do some flying.