Looking for something new.

Right, time to ask you all for more advice. I want to get back into regularly flying again. I have been flying around Europe in larger aircraft, but now it's time to start on career mode and with some challenges, so I'm looking for recommendations.

I want to start with Bush flying, somewhere wild with interesting scenery. However money isn't limitless so I don't want to be buying oodles and oodles of stuff.

Could you guys please recommend for me.

A good wild area of the world possibly with interesting weather patterns.

A good terrain mesh for an interesting scenery area.

A couple of good payware aircraft up to dc3 size.

Good scenery for the chosen area

A challenging and good looking payware airport to use as a home base

I have the caranedo super cargo master/grand caravan along with the just flight dc3 and 6 (I'm not so impressed with the Douglas aircraft, I like fully clickable 2d and virtual cockpits I can't seem to get on with the dc6 especially. Been considering the maamsim dc3) I also have the twin otter but I really can't seem to get on with it. Possibly I need to read the manual more!

I intend to start on career mode, and aim to have a company that can eventually handle everything from a light aircraft Bush run to the occasional long haul in heavy iron. Unable, I prefer proper gauges over glass cockpits.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,

Mark.

ORBx Alaska sceneries (SAK, PFJ)...and I'd get PNW as well...just cus it has so much territory and variety, and you might wish a bit more clement weather in the Wash/Oregon area in the deep of winter.

One nice thing about the ORBx stuff, is most airfields get some ORBx treatment above and beyond Stock...so, if you are short on cash, you can avoid a Payware Base for a while till you get used to the area and decide first hand where you wish to invest in Better Base scenery.

For a First Aircraft, if you don't wish to keep the stocker C172...Carenado's C185 with the Amphibian option. After selling the C172 you can buy it outright and still be within your credit limit, and have a damned fine first hauler that can go anywhere with over 900 lbs of cargo.

upgrade Aircraft:

Aerosoft  Beaver...has Tundra tire, Amphib, floats, skiis, and normal tire version (even a cropduster)...it will get you in and out of anywhere.

Aerosoft DHC6 Twin Otter...same as above, but more cargo and speed (not a speedy though by any means :)  )

Aerosoft PBY Catalina will not be stumped by water fields, can tackle short-ish hard fields, and can haul a great deal of cargo,  (I'm NOT an Aerosoft fan boy, they were just at the top of the aircraft list due to arbitrary Alphabet Standards :P  )

Razbam MetrolinerIII...fast rugged hauler...not a bush plane by any means, but I'd take it into fairly challenging spots with confidence.

Your DC-3 and 6 will work well for larger bases and income generation, but you wont be delivering hunting supplies in the bush with them for sure.

For Four banger heavyish iron a bit bigger than those I like the CLS BAE146 300QT, or Capt. Sim C-130.

Anyhooo...thats one of my favorite areas for "Bush" flying.

On the other hand:

Northern California in general is my favorite area of "Variety" as it has everything from ridge dirt strips, water bases, canyons, to KSFO and etc.

ORBx NCA is a huge area and a great value. Weather rarely keeps you grounded, but it does rain and blow stink occasionally :D

Looking forward to other's suggestions to, always open to opening a new venture in a well recommended spot.

Cheers,

:hat:

I'm sold on the orbx pnw region, at 15 quid that's good value. The C185 looks interesting too, so I guess that's my startup. I've heard good things about Darrington muni as a starting Base too so I'll get in fsx and have a look at that when I get home next.

John, I've heard good things about the pc12, but maybe I'm a philistine, cos I think it looks ugly!

Csim c130 is a good call for heavy work, further down the line, I really love flying that thing!

I'm running since November 2013 a company based in British Columbia ( Prince Rupert )  I opened other bases to the north along the coast of Alaska ( Sitka, Yakutat and Cordova ) and to the south ( Port Hardy ) Also started to fly inland ( Prince George )

I'm operating several C 185 Amphibs and Tundras, a Goose, 2 DHC 6-300 and the boss flies around at the moment in a C 337 Skymaster (while borrowing other planes from time to time). I'm not fan of big planes so I guess I won't go bigger than the Twotters and DC3s.

The landscape is fantastic ( even if I'm still using UTX Canada/Alaska and GEX North America ).  I'm using freeware airfields and there are many available for the area. Flying real time/ real weather, it can get challenging in winter to deliver stuff in some fjords and coves.

In this area, I definitely would advise to start with an amphibian plane.

For the future I've bought at Xmas sales ORBX Australia and New Zealand, this is probably where I will start my next company.

Check if the fuel (and cargo) is loading correctly once you get in to the Sim. I occasionally find that AH sometimes loads one side to full before adding to the other (...don't recall if it was in issue with the 185). And ofc allow at least one sheep or box of snakes to ride shotgun in the copilot seat if you don't have a human riding along. ;)

If I had the time to maintain my AirHauler companies as I wished I'd definitely consider starting a company on New Zeeland with the ORBX Scenery.  Lots of interesting airfields to fly to, mainly on the southwestern parts of the southern island but elsewhere too..

If you want a nice payware airport to start with I'd pick Millford Sound (NZMF) also from Orbx. It features a 2.600 feet Asphalt runway located inside a fjord, so the approach is very interesting even in good weather  ;)

Also included in the NZMF package is the small airstrip T004 (Quintin). It's a darn difficult strip to find, and even harder to land at, so I'd avoid flying cargo there, but it's a great place to practice your skills  ;)

I started a company in Papua New Guinea using Jacksons scenery...gorgeous place to fly, but for Air Hauler, every trip is a Tractor up to 12,000 feet, then coast right back down to sea level...god the hump in the middle of that island is formidable. :D If you enjoy flying at 50% full power and 50% idle...PNG is the place for you ....hahaha.

I started my career in French Polynesia. I found two airports 93nm apart. Most of the jobs gets generated between these two fields. It's quite boring but I only did this to easily get my rep up to 55%.

I also kept the c172 only thing I did was rip out the seats! Trust me this really helped to be able to complete 2 jobs at a time. When I reached 50% i leased a 185F. After the 185 I went for a twotter. Currently I'm leasing 2 c208b for the AI and myself I'm flying the carenado pc12 (great plane). I will be closing my bases in French Polynesia and making the 2000nm mile trip to New Zealand!

One plane I would really recommend, that is just a little larger than the dc3, is a BT-67! There is a truly amazing version out there... Oh and did I mention it is freeware? It is able to put some good payware aircraft to shame! Just search google for bt-67 v2.zip. I believe there is a 37 page post about it on avsim. Try it you won't be disappointed..

• Like 1

New Zealand South Island is very nice and so is PNW

If you get the Carenado C185, do yourself a favor and install the optional FDE patch made by Bernd Stolle and available from Carenado. It makes the AC acceptable.

The freware pilatus porter is IMHO a better option and as another option, Lionhearts Piper Pacer is not bad and you can see that packages in the back of the AC.

Lionhearts Quest Kodiak is an awesome bush and cargo plane.

And finally, I personally find that the freeware DC3 by Manfred Jahn to be better than the justflight.

One plane I would really recommend, that is just a little larger than the dc3, is a BT-67! There is a truly amazing version out there... Oh and did I mention it is freeware? It is able to put some good payware aircraft to shame! Just search google for bt-67 v2.zip. I believe there is a 37 page post about it on avsim. Try it you won't be disappointed..

Nice tip there friend! And welcome to Mutleys...that very helpful post being your first here, i hope you stick around :D

Not far off from payware quality VC... quite serviceable and decent looking. Comes with a cool Ski/Wheel option :thum: for those of us trucking stuff around Alaska-esque areas.

The stock sound is aliased to the Stock King Air 350, but you can just change the line in the sound cfg to another twin turbo if you have a better sound set. I used the sound from a freeware S330 Shorts...which I believe uses sounds from a DH-3.  It is by: Hellenic Aircraft/Yiannis Katehis Tsetsas 2013 (should be enough to google find it i hope...forgot where i found it).

A very nice upgrade to the DC-3 platform.

bt67-1.png

bt67-2.png

bt67-3.png

• Like 1

that BT-67 is really good, I did have it but a few months back had hard drive trouble and have not downloaded again, they actually did a write up in PCPilot, I think last year, great quality and free to.....have to get it again me thinks......

Wayne....

Thanks captain coffee! Yea I have been lurking around here for some time so this was a natural evolution and I must say very happy I finally did it!

Thanks for uploading those pics of the BT67. It did not really cross my mind to do it myself :-)!

I cant get myself to install the Bt-67. The twin radial sound of the DC3 or C 47 is so nice. One of the addon sounds to M. Jahns C-47 is really good.

I'm a musician, so sound is important to me, and turbo props loops are not my favorite "symphony".

But looking at the team who's made the ac, I have no doubt its a winner.

Arghh this is annoying! I can't trim the 185! 

Rudder and elevator trim both seem to work fine, but aileron trim just will not work. The aircraft always has a continuous roll to the left. no matter how much trim I add in. Getting frustrated with it now. I've tried it with other aircraft and the buttons are working fine, so I can't see what the issue with the 185 is. Checked the CoG and loading is fine, even with an off centre CoG I should still be able to trim it out anyway. Any ideas guys?

Cheers, 

Mark

The c185 doesnt have aileron trim. i sometimes, very seldom now, fly the Carenado C185 with the optional FDE from Bernt Stolle and I think it flies very well, I just find it difficult to find a decent eyepoint view. Its either to low to see forward or to high to see to the sides.

I fly the Carenado bush C185  ( floats, amphib and tundra ) and solve this type of problem by using the autopilot...  ;)  after checking how it's loaded, sometimes Air Hauler doesn't do a good job at loading the plane.

Agreed bout the awkward view point in the 185 now that you mention it.  I always just dealt with it...but ya, the dash is to high when I look out the side, and the side is obscured by the door frame when I can  see over the dash. :(

Track IR would help some with that if I still had it installed, but until i find an acceptable pair of bluetooth headphones on great sale...to make a wireless trackIR thingy...can't deal with all the wires in my confined FS space at home.

And indeed: Seconding what donnybalonny said...creative cargo loading can help trim the plane somewhat :)