Microsoft may lock out other OSes with Windows 10

"Secure Boot" I don't like the sound of that, I want to be able to run Linux alongside Windows.

I guess I will stay put with Win 7, surely this must be against anti competition laws?

I expect they may be testing the market to see if there is a big uproar against this, if you build your own then you may well get the choice like with 8. As someone who has never used Linux is it an either/or with regards to WIndows and Linux? Does Linus allow you to do the same as Windows or is it a software compatability issue?

Wayne

Nobody with any savvy is going to buy it. What happens when Windows 11 comes out? is it new PC time? How do you do a re-install if you cant boot to anything but the existing o/s.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. It will do for windows what Michael Foot did for the Labour Party. I bet Linux distributors are laughing all the way down to the pub.

They should have called it Windows Nien!

• Like 1

As I have said before "beware of Geeks bearing gifts"  they give away the o/s , get you hooked, everything else is on the meter like office 365---simples!!!

This may have worked 5 years ago when there was little alternative, but they have missed the boat, if they go ahead with this screwy idea they will be open for a takeover especially if they are forced to break up the company into smaller groups as is currently being proposed.

their problem is they cannot re-invent the wheel, windows xp to windows 7 satisfies 95% of the users

office 2000 did the same the upgrades since have added a few things of minor interest

windows server has had little change under the hood for ages

etc etc

they were desperate that windows phones will take off but they havent in sufficient quantities

so what can they create that is going to create revenue??? if they continue to give away w10???  a scam? 

like a thunderstorm or any big enterprise M.S. have reached senility and will start to collapse in on itself mark my words, the end is nigh

I agree BF, although the P(resent) M(rs) L(awford) has a Nokia phone with Windows OS and I really like it.

@ Wain, Linux is an open source operating system with its own applications most notably used with Apache and PHP for web servers like ours. Better left to the geeks  ;)

I love my Samsung Aquos "windows" phone, my newest device. I was never a Tech lover till I got my first Smart Phone...love these things.

I haven't been tempted to bite into an Apple since side by side testing of a simple Photoshop LE "filter application" to identical images on both an Apple and a CompUSA Windows machine back in the day when i bought my first computer...the Windows machine kicked the Apple's butt by about 20% faster, and it was 1/2 the price...no brainer. Despite learning computers on Macs, I switched to Windows and my wallet has never looked back.

My phone is the best thing for finding my way around traffic as a courier...very up to date usualy, only better would be to have a private helicopter reporting for you...and when I get stuck; NETFLIX on the freeway. :D

Also read in a Fred Langa (Windows Secrets) article  that the "Windows Update" facility in W10 will be "ON". Users unable to turn it off or vary its behaviour. That alone will rule it out for me.

Also read in a Fred Langa (Windows Secrets) article  that the "Windows Update" facility in W10 will be "ON". Users unable to turn it off or vary its behaviour. That alone will rule it out for me.

I am afraid this is true, my win10 machine last night took it upon itself to upload the latest version while i was writing an email to another member of mutleys, and as my main p.c. was having a new hard drive installed I was buggered for the night.

So far IMHO the people who like windows 8 will like 10 , but those who prefer 7 will undoubtably stay with it for the foreseeble future.

This is Really a storm in a tea cup. The news article is quite missleading. For Win 10 Microsoft has told OEM's that Secure Boot under UEFI must be enabled, but it is down to the discretion of the OEM's to allow the user to turn it off or not. This won't effect current computers updating to Win 10, you just have to check this out when buying a new one and I'm sure decent machines from good OEM's won't have this locked down.

Thanks the explaination on Linux @mutley.

So if you build your own rig it wont matter if you use OEM version but what if you by windows 10 over the counter....bet they phase out other versions really quickly so choice is limited...i am ok with 8.1 I use it for FSXSE...P3D and running the business on...think i will stick...

Wayne

What’s happening is Microsoft is using UEFI Secure Boot to lock down the OS to help make Windows safer. It prevents boot trojans and other nasties getting on your system by using a process of signed certificates.

In Windows 8, in order for the manufactures of computers to put the windows sticker on the PC, Microsoft said that Secure Boot must be enabled but that users must be allowed to override it if they want. For Windows 10 what’s changed is that now OEM’s can decide themselves weather the user can override it or not, probably to stop so many calls to costumer support.

Windows 10 is a free upgrade for 7, 8 and 8.1 so you won’t buy a disk over the counter and upgrading won’t suddenly lock your UEFI if it’s not locked currently. It’s only an issue if you are buying a PC from a manufacturer like Dell or HP etc, as for some of their range they may decide to lock down Secure Boot, it will just be another thing to think about when you purchase a new computer.

Windows 10 looks very promising and will pack new OS technologies. If it works well with FS it should be a nice upgrade path but, britfrog mentioned this issue with updates, I will have to wait and see what the final release is like.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who has standardised my machines on W7, I regard anything beyond that as undesirable. Then I discovered that a recent Windows update (KB3035583) is in fact a “Windows 10 downloader” which blatantly advertises Windows 10 and, it is suggested, will even download it — if you're not careful.

On checking my Windows 7 machines I found that all of them were infected with KB3035583. I therefore removed it and took steps to ensure that it won't be downloaded again. If you want to do the same and need help in how to do it I found this link that may help: http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/

I have to say also that in my view Micro$oft have crossed a line in doing this, but that's just my 2ȼ....  

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

I learned a long time ago to never use windows update.  I installed windows7 plus the service pack when I built the machine and it has never failed me..

Windows updates are more for the business user than the home-front Brigade.  It is also another obtrusive way for MS and the NSA to spy into your computer.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

interestingly none of my o/s's or p.c.s have the update that Bruce mentions not that it would bother me, because every morning when you fire up your p.c. it contacts M.S.and gives them an update of your p.c. and what you have been doing , which M.S. have never been forced to reveal.

what is quite clear is that with win 10 being free and being "locked" per se the average person out there who installs win 10 will believe when win 11 comes out next year they will be obliged to buy that new update, and you can bet your butt that with their new idea of releasing new updates every 6 months you will be on the meter big time. why else would they give 10 away? when windows is their biggest earner? its just like fishing , once on the hook you are lucky to get away.

I have win 10 version 11049  (the latest version) in my small p.c. and i see absolutely nothing in it that would make  a windows 7 person want to move across, yes it is a bit better than 8.1 but that is all. It is too geared for the great unclean, xbox is not interesting to me at all, and most of their apps are geared for kiddies, everything you want to watch or listen to is on the meter through an xbox app. and this is where m.s. hope to score , like apple everything will be on the meter inc windows

and oh boy you can talk to Cortana !!! why would you want to????  I asked her if she liked sex , she replied by showing me the inside of a posh english pub, well maybe she is right :)

I do wish linux would come out with a version on which we could use FSX , because i would be off like a shot.

For Win 10 Microsoft has told OEM's that Secure Boot under UEFI must be enabled, but it is down to the discretion of the OEM's to allow the user to turn it off or not.

It should be at the discretion of the end user, not the OEMs!!

I agree completely!

but it would appear that microsoft see it otherwise, after all you dont own the software --- in their eyes,

so you can only use what they say you can 

needless to say I think they will be cutting their own throats,

I learned a long time ago to never use windows update.  I installed windows7 plus the service pack when I built the machine and it has never failed me..

Windows updates are more for the business user than the home-front Brigade.  It is also another obtrusive way for MS and the NSA to spy into your computer.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I'm not being funny but was that in jest?

Not to install important OS security updates is a VERY bad idea. You've been lucky up to now, but flaws in operating systems are exactly that, flaws, vulnerabilities.

As for "if it aint broke don't fix it". It is broke, hence the vulnerabilities.

Not to mention numerous performance improvements that have been in Windows Update of course.

Here's a nice list of vulnerabiltes for you to peruse...

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-17153/hasexp-1/Microsoft-Windows-7.html

@james

>"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

<sigh> Yeah, but....

"It ain't paranoia if they *really are* out to get you"

As a home user you may well think that no hackers would be interested in your machine. Maybe you could even be right, if you stay lucky and keep a low Internet profile.

But in these days of automated bots and crawlers (not to mention viruses, malware, and rootkits) I have disinfected too many friends' machines that have been taken hostage (for real money) to have that amount of optimism. And when I was still in the I.T. business I saw too many very serious penetration attempts to leave me in any doubt that I will actively deploy every means I can, including a decent firewall and paid-for AV as well as accepting most of the *genuine* Micro$oft security updates, to keep my machines as protected as I possibly can.

I would add, as a long-time Unix guy, that I have little faith in an Operating System (I'll leave you to work out which) that has security bolted on as a kludge rather than being designed into it from the ground up.

OK, that's just my opinion (or maybe even my paranoia, if that's the way you see it, but then I have scar tissue); and Your Mileage May Vary (and evidently does).

So, just one final quote and I'll shut up (honest, guv): ;-)

"The price of liberty is eternal vigilance".

(Just my two cents...). :-)

Cheers,

B

[Apologies, MartinW: it seems that we both started typing at about the same time...]. 88-)

• Like 2