I've decided it's time to travel. Tinkering is all well and good but the joy is in the flying. Of course I'm preaching to the well and truly converted. I've decided upon a small adventure to tour the coast of Britain in a clockwise direction from my home at EGNT Newcastle. I'm flying the lovely Cessna 182 from A2A Simulations sporting the excellent G-AZNO skin by Ron Attwood. I intend a series of short flights but essentially sticking to the coast or at least coastal areas.

The first flight would take me from EGNT to EGNJ Humberside to visit my old Squadron Leader from "Treble One" Fighter Squadron. He's retired now enjoying the high life of the sea air and fresh fish to be found around the Grimsby area up North. Through the journey we'll be passing one of his weekend retreats at Whitby famous for its tremendous Fish and Chips at the Magpie.

Setup - Plan G, ORBX England, REX 4, Soft Clouds, Active Sky Next, DX10 Fixer

Hope you enjoy.

I decided to track the Flamborough NDB down the coast for the first leg

F%20Plan_zpsuugmxohh.jpg

Busy start at EGNT, just waiting for clearance

fsx%202015-06-10%2023-54-21-86_zpsxrvmeq

The view into the industrial Teeside area

fsx%202015-06-11%2000-21-29-69_zpsq1ffgu

Down into North Yorkshire

fsx%202015-06-11%2000-33-20-22_zpsu2bzy5

Passing Whitby, trying to spot the Fish and Chip shop

fsx%202015-06-11%2000-35-02-52_zpsshxdwb

The usual mixed weather up North

fsx%202015-06-11%2000-53-33-38_zps2xjnrh

Closing in on EGNJ with the famous Humber Bridge in the background

fsx%202015-06-11%2001-06-23-01_zpsrlag34

On approach

fsx%202015-06-11%2001-07-46-78_zps8befem

Safely down and secured - shame I'd left the lights on :unsure: Off to find the Squadron Leader for a Badgers or two :hat:

fsx%202015-06-11%2001-19-46-52_zpseeqrdd

• Like 1

Graeme,

A man after my own heart - I love 'flying' around coastal areas - believe that scenery found in Yorkshire, Dorset, Devon & Cornwall  is the most beautiful in the World.

I've circumnavigated mainland UK many times.

Try it in a supersonic jet if you are short on time!

Which terrain scenery are you using?

One of the 'how long is a piece of string?' questions asked, is the length of our coast - an elephant will find it much shorter than, say, a small creature.

Ray,

Graeme,

Don't want to spoil your flight, but, as I have not taken the plunge to purchase ORBX - still prefer  Horizon photo-real scenery - perhaps you will continue to post your excellent screen-shots of notable coastal views as you continue your journey.

Ray.

Enjoyed the start of your flight, :thum: along with the pic's. Sure wish I could pop into the sim and eat at the Magpie. :D

Nice to see familier scenery as I too have had the pleasure of flying all around the UK since getting the ORBX/FTX scenery. I am even starting to even learn it slowly but surely and look forward to the rest of your adventure. :pilotic: 

Nice shots there Graeme,

Look forward to the rest of your adventure.

For your next leg are you doing the route we talked about earlier this week?

When you get to the west coast make Blackpool (EGNH) a port of call for a badgers with you wingman Red 3 Ninja.

See you in the air

Paul

Hi Paul, welcome to Mutley's Hangar, any friend of Graeme is a friend to all in the forum. :hat: 

I must admit I am a bit concerned about the badgering after looking it up..... :huh:  :P

• Like 1

Enjoyed the start of yousear flight, :thum: along with the pic's. Sure wish I could pop into the sim and eat at the Magpie. :D

Brett & Graeme,

Don't want to lose track of this posting, but the aroma of fish & chips  in Whitby & Scarborough brings back memories...

The USA is a bit of conundrum when it comes to seafood - the best fish & chips I ate there was in Ohio, a long way from any coast & in an establishment not pretending to be British 'fish & chips'. But by far the best sea-food pie I've ever eaten was in a restaurant in Cape Cod.

Ray.

Drat - you beat me to it. Was thinking of doing the same in XP with VFR scenery and W2XP. Have been thinking of it for a while but the 'other' forums didn't seem too interested in the UK. Nice to see that this forum is a bit more into the UK.

Anyway love your idea and the way you are presenting it. Of course if the British weather holds true to form there will be some pretty murky pics in this post!. Summer - where did that go? Think I will follow you round - but I might have some empty airports - have to wait and see.

...and can you stop talking about fish and chips I am on a strict diet......no posts about the seafood diet please.....

cheers

Peter

Thanks for all the nice comments chaps.

@Ray don't worry about posting things in the topic. I think it's great that this wonderful hobby can generate all kinds of discussion from people all over the world. On the fish and chip front I don't think you can go past Whitby in North Yorkshire. They have 2 or 3 superb shops/ restaurants. I think it's something to do with the cold northern air :D

@Peter feel free to post away. I do like to add bits and pieces into my adventures just to keep myself and everyone interested. If you like UK based tours check this out from a few years ago, I had a blast flying and looking into the back story http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/6375-real-ale-tour-scotland/?hl=sabre

PS the fish and chip theme might continue I'm afraid :D

Great shots Graeme nice looking paint scheme, hope you get some nice sunny days but the cloudy ones sometimes produce a better pic...

I can smell the salt n vinegar on those chips now....

Wayne

Well it was time to move on to the second leg of the journey. My old Squadron Leader decided he'd stayed in one place for a little too long and asked if he could tag along. This did take me a little by surprise but I didn't think too much of it. Mind you it's true to say that he did have a bit of a reputation as a ladies man back in the day but his memory always seemed to play tricks on him. I did wonder if his sudden desire to leave the area may be have been linked to his wandering eye and silver tongue which had seen him in a few close scrapes. Anyway bags packed and we were off back to EGNJ Humberside to pick up the old 182 and head further South. This leg would see us follow the coast until we could cut across "The Wash" before picking up the coast again towards Cromer, Great Yarmouth and on to Lowestoft before landing at Beccles.

We decided that it would be good to pop into one of our old bases and reminisce about the old days. I liked Beccles as it was nicely situated on the Norfolk Broads where we'd spent many a happy summer slowly meandering the waterways drinking the Badgers and enjoying the Fish 'n Chips (sorry Peter). We were flying VFR and it seemed the weather should just about hold for the duration although cloud was predicted. As we arrived at Humberside the Squadron Leader did mutter something about "weathermen" and "money for nothing". Pre-flight complete and weather still holding and we were off.

The flight plan

Flight%20Plan_zpsaoksqguw.jpg

Heading East over Grimsby the Squadron Leader waves farewell

No%201_zps4xt2lu7i.jpg

It seems this whole stretch of coast is littered with Wind Farms

No%202_zpsgrlgy979.jpg 

Turning across The Wash the weather closes behind us and The Squadron Leader begins to mutter again

No%203_zps3nhf5dxr.jpg

As we slip along the North Norfolk coast we pass over Sheringham Golf Club

No%204_zpsp3dsrf5i.jpg

The view over Lowestoft looking back up North to Great Yarmouth in the distance with more Wind Farms

No%205_zpsbn1dj5zo.jpg

On finals to Beccles EGSM still being chased by the weather

No%206_zpsmbsrnbtf.jpg

Safely down - time for a bit of sightseeing and some food

No%207_zpsfmmhmoid.jpg

Before we leave we take a quick look around what's left of the old Control Tower/Watch Office from RAF Beccles as was.

Beccles%20Control%20Tower_zpsmetfy4wu.jp

It didn't take us long to find the right type of eating "plaice"

Chip%20Shop_zpsnig1ixoc.jpg

Sorry Peter (and anyone else on a diet)  :D 

Fish%20n%20Chips_zpsvhxknrql.jpg

Oh my, that looks yummy. :) 

Oh yeah, nice leg too! :D I like that finals shot, beautiful with those 'grumble, grumble' storm clouds in the background. :thum:

Remind to ask FTX about the people flow that looks like thugs doing a drug deal. :whis:

Nice shots there Sabre can't wait for the next leg.

Are you going to continue in the C182 or are you going to switch to the Comanche ?

Got new hard drive now time to download everything and install so I can get in the air myself. 

Nice shots there Sabre can't wait for the next leg.

Are you going to continue in the C182 or are you going to switch to the Comanche ?

Got new hard drive now time to download everything and install so I can get in the air myself. 

Cheers Paul.

Sticking with the 182 for the whole journey. I'll think of some other adventure for the Comanche  :thum:

Good luck with the install, will be good to take to the skies once more.

Nice leg with a yummy looking incentive/reward at the end. Usually I don't eat breakfast or I'd be doing tummy flips. Love me some Fish and Chips...when I can get some good here in the USA. The chips are usually the problem here...seems some folks can not fry food without turning it into ranicid grease sponges, change the oil, turn up the temperature, fry smaller batches...geeez...It's not rocket science! :(  Hmm...after that rant, perhaps I should revisit "not eating breakfast". ):

After a few days relaxing aboard a lovely little boat on the Norfolk Broads it was time to move on further South. Over a few "Badgers" at the Bear and Bells the Squadron Leader and I decided to reconnoiter around a few of the old locations of World War 2 airfields around the South East of England. With this in mind we would follow the coast down towards Southend before heading East towards Margate, from there we would turn South towards Dover and then carry on until we reached Lydd. We wondered how many we would be able to pick out along the journey.

We had originally planned the journey IFR as poor weather was forecast so initally leaving EGSM Beccles we would pick up the 208 degree vector towards Clacton VOR (114.5 MHz); then following the 229 degree radial from CLN until we picked up Southend EGMC. After heading directly South we would head East until on the 180 degree vector towards DVR VOR (114.95); finally landing at Lydd EGMD. Having planned all of that it turned out (in true British weather custom) to be another lovely day for flying.

Initial Flight Planning at the Bear and Bells

Bear%20and%20Bell_zpsq4umnphj.jpg

The Flight Plan - well as near as damn it

Flight%20Plan_zpssfkq5n7y.jpg

Leaving Beccles

No1_zpsjm1mxvbw.jpg

The busy port of Felixstowe

No2_zps81vqlyuw.jpg

Transitioning over Southend - with permission of course

No3_zpscdegixr7.jpg

The view down across the mouth of the Thames to Sheerness

No4_zps2idaxfmt.jpg

Now the real airfield hunting would start - looking for signs of Eastchurch

No5_zpsjitppouy.jpg

Turning south over Manston

No7_zpsmuq5ic1u.jpg

Over Dover looking straight ahead for any sign of Hawkinge

No8_zpsmgkfx5kz.jpg

Finals at Lydd EGMD after searching for Lympne and Littlestone

No9_zps1vh5msli.jpg

The old map we used

Map_zpsumhqarxe.jpg

And so the saga continues :D nice shots as usual, have you been having lesson's of No111_Larry ? :rofl:

Can't wait for the next leg. Will be interesting to see which way you go next.

PS how's the Comanche is she worth getting ?

Great shots as always - I have a bit if catching up to do - have been distracted by the A2A Comanche (my new mistress) - the wife will be starting to suspect (the wife being XP) so I had better give her a bit of attention. Hopefully will be in time to share a beer before you move on again, but might not as still in Humberside!.

Edit: PS Paulninja as insinuated - I am really enjoying the Comanche - personally I think it is the best of the new A2A breed. A joy to fly.

PS how's the Comanche is she worth getting ?

Short answer - yes

I am really enjoying the Comanche - personally I think it is the best of the new A2A breed. A joy to fly.

The slightly longer answer as above  :thumbup:

It's definitely worth getting Paul - without question their best product to date. Having said that, I still find it difficult to choose which of the A2A aircraft I should get out of the hangar when I fancy a trip. Staying with the Skylane for this adventure though.

• Like 1