Leg 32 - Pohnpei Int (PTPN) - Buchloz AAF (PKWA)

Last time you saw me I was escaping, unsucessfully, from J G's unfriendly friends, resulting in a rather unpleasant experience to say the least. After a few weeks of captivity, I awoke one morning to find my door unlocked and no one around. I suspected something, with the following note attached to the door:

"We'll meet again sometime"

Anyway, Jess had arrived into Pohnepi a few days earlier and the baton (which had been safely deposited in the murky depths of the Avro 730 - nice work Jess :thum:) was once again in my hands. Just to find an aircraft to fly out to, appropriately enough, the Marshall Islands. A lot of history there (nothing to do with me, I think!)

Turns out there is a Catalina ready to do a 'mock' anti-submarine patrol. Whilst not armed with depth charges, my new found friends were less than straight forward about why 'mock' was said mockingly. Another trap?

Early the next morning the aircraft awaited us

-2015-aug-26-001_zpsu2nqjirn.jpg

It has been a long, long time since I have flown the Cat, so following the checklist slowly and ensuring everything was working

-2015-aug-26-003_zpskbzwfnwt.jpg

The engines spluttered, eventually, into life with the normal mass of exhaust

-2015-aug-26-007_zpsnxyrb4w3.jpg

Giving the engines a run up at 1700rpm whilst something a lot faster and more comfortable awaits some lucky person in the background

-2015-aug-26-010_zpsdxpjy0i1.jpg

With no ATC in operation and the wind non existent, we choose the easiest runway for departure - runway 09

-2015-aug-26-011_zpsjzhzmy68.jpg

The crew manning the blister guns sit tight whilst the aircraft reverberates with power-up

-2015-aug-26-014_zpsg3ip9kdz.jpg

Up, up and away

-2015-aug-26-016_zpsk5m7pyce.jpg

540nm of open ocean awaits us as we cruise at around 110mph and under 500ft

-2015-aug-26-018_zpsxsytcree.jpg

Leaving land behind

-2015-aug-26-021_zpshdbtvvob.jpg

Heading out to sea

-2015-aug-26-023_zps9yfrbmjl.jpg

Meanwhile, on a secret airbase known only to a few, a P-40E takes off with intellegence that an unknown, piston-powered aircraft threatens the baton's safety

-2015-aug-26-045_zps7jsmajgq.jpg

It climbs high above the Pacific Ocean to gain the advantage

-2015-aug-26-049_zps7xjiqaaw.jpg

Of course, in the PBY we are completely oblivious, or at least I was

-2015-aug-26-024_zpsewxiglri.jpg

Our nose gunner/observer yells out a warning - tracer fire 12 o'clock, 10,000ft

-2015-aug-24-029_zpsovajimzm.jpg

At this point the two rear gunners announce that they are cocked and ready to fire. Demanding an explaination, my co-pilot explains. "We had information that one of your members was wanted for, things," Tibbets explained. "We wanted to help, so we arranged this Cat to fly you out with the P-40 cover. Word had been received from 'sources' that an attempt would be made to shoot down the baton carrier using a vintage replica aircraft. So, fly low and as fast as possible". With instructions like that, who can say no? Flying low is what I do best. I think I got down to about 20ft!

Meanwhile, the combat goes on over our heads

-2015-aug-24-046_zpszivlmn5a.jpg

-2015-aug-24-062_zpsudlurdlw.jpg

In the end, a splash of water confirms that the 'assasin' has been forced down but appears unharmed

-2015-aug-24-069_zps1634oq0f.jpg

By this point, the Marshall Islands were in sight and preparations were in hand to land

-2015-aug-26-032_zpseu1sizlv.jpg

A touch out, but she'll straighten up alright

-2015-aug-26-035_zpsqp0ayr5n.jpg

A squeaky touchdown, but in one piece

-2015-aug-26-036_zpswhciado7.jpg

And finally all shut down

-2015-aug-26-043_zps0rucn90w.jpg

As was our saviour

-2015-aug-26-052_zps2ywwpxma.jpg

It seems John has made a dodgy deal or two in the past - as did I when I helped him to escape in Leg 11!

Mikael - try and stay safe!

Things used:

FSX, default scenery and weather, with the Aerosoft Catalina

Combat scenes produced with IL-2: 1946

• Like 1

Oh, exciting times Kieran.

Good job keeping your focus under pressure.

Hate to rush you, but you'd better hurry out of here if you're gonna beat me to Pago Pago. I'm departing bright and early tomorrow morning, or so the CO of the base here claims.....

• Like 1

Another flag for the P-40 and that beautiful Cat makes in down in one piece, helofa day in the skies sir. :hat:

Not sure what the flag will look like, maybe a bright orange 'fro. :D

Excellent PIREP Chuck! 

It seems the Putinfeld has upped his game, now he is after all of us and so it is not a personal vendetta against me as I first thought! 

his failure against you is a relief but also a worry. I fear things may get worse from here on. He seems  to be getting more and more belligerent the further we get with this challenge.

I will be watching my back, perhaps I had better set to and start arraigning an aircraft that will be able to withstand a strong attack.