VR is here!

Interesting to hear your comments on the Leap Motion. I have mine installed but not yet working.  It struck me that it may be a step  to far with my VR set up when I bought it, but in the grand scheme of VR things it was relatively inexpensive so I thought I would give it a go.  When I eventually do, I will post my thoughts on it here,

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a while I have been dabbling in cockpit building.  I have had mixed success and seem to be forever sorting out something that has gone awry.   So I thought I would scrap that and use coc

Try this one here JG https://www.guidgenerator.com/ or do a search and you will find a few.

Wow JG, so many hoops to  jump through.   It's worth mentioning your PC supplier though... Chillbast ! a quality UK outlet. (Waits for royalty cheques!)

Advertising going on right now for CAD $529.

• Rift
  • Sensor X2 Touch Controllers

I'm at the point where the computer needs to be upgraded. In fact, I just bought a sim package that I cannot run (the high-end part) on my machine. 

I'm looking at the Rift at the same time. Once I go to a 970 or greater video card and another 8Gig of RAM, I'll have everything in place.

Any advice, @JG?

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a year since I bought the Rift.

I find now that I dont use it much as it is perhaps I little too imersive for me.

It works well with a good VC but if your aircraft of choice needs a keyboard to get the best out of it then it is not so good. All has to go well for it to be at its best, but if you need to do anything unusual then removing the headset is a pain. The other drawback is you cant use support programs such as Plan G very easily, you only have one screen in effect. With the amazing gauges for SPAD NEXT not being visable whe in VR, my rig now supports both VR and a good standard setup.

Edited by J G
  • Like 1

I just bought a third-party aircraft that has ONLY a virtual cockpit for VR. There's no 2D pop-ups, all functions are switchable within the VC. It's the GLJ Lear 25. It's pretty difficult to use without something like Track IR because you have to be continually hopping around the cockpit to see the switches. See: https://xtremeprototypes.com/en/product_GLJ25_se_v2r1.asp I'll bet it's the cats pajamas in Oculus Rift as long as you have some method of clicking switches inside the VC.

Take a look at P3Dv4. There's even a menu choice in the menu bar for "Virtual Reality". Looks like P3Dv4 is intended for use with something like Oculus Rift. I need to take the time to look in to this in more depth (pun intended). There's a good discussion (quite lengthy) here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/511276-p3d-v4-vr-all-you-need-to-know/ - goes to six pages. 

Still on the fence.

March

So it seems they still have a long way to go from being cool to being truly functional for todays simmer?

I would think that with TrackIR and Chaseplane one would get more than enough functionality to get the job done until they work out a better way to combine VR with todays sims. Some day though.......:)

15 hours ago, brett said:

So it seems they still have a long way to go from being cool to being truly functional for todays simmer?

I would think that with TrackIR and Chaseplane one would get more than enough functionality to get the job done until they work out a better way to combine VR with todays sims. Some day though.......:)

I agree.

• Thanks 1