2D Panel vs VC

I'm curious: how many of you use VC vs 2D panel? I've found that since moving to two monitors (with a combined viewing width of 40.7"), I use VC exclusively. I've not yet found a 2D panel that is sized right for a 40" monitor, so VC is the only choice for me. Besides, the peripheral vision really adds to immersion! There are some times when I can almost feel the chair moving!

My view:

1900c8.jpg

208b2.jpg

1900c23.jpg

more to the point EJ, did you say FORTY inch monitor!?! :shrug_no: :yikes:

hehe... well, more correctly, 40" of desktop/viewable area. I use two 20.3" monitors next to each other. It's quite stunning, and the area in the middle of the view screen is less a bother after one gets used to it.

Always 2D without exception!

I dislike virtual cockpits; I prefer to fly the aircraft with the best visual representation of the instruments. I dislike the quality of the VC (reminiscent of a Childs crayon drawing) and also the minimal magnification of the exterior view, wrong perspective and very unrealistic, the lighting in the VC is awful when the source of the illumination is from a particular angle.

I try to fly as realistically as possible with full emphasis on the avionics; 2D is far superior for that end.

Interesting. I find the exact opposite to be true, but that's from my own perspective. Having only 70+ hours in Cessna 150's, 152's, and 172's, I guess for me, the VC seems more real than the canned views that magnify and have odd angles to them (especially the forward view which looks down too much). I like to be able to "crane my neck" about when in turns (sucg as when turning from base to final).

The instruments in my VC's (all payware) are quite nice at the high resolution I fly at, and not at all "Crayola." Also, lighting is pretty decent, and the panels are incredibly useful. I sometimes use the pop-up views (shift-3 for GPS, for example), but that's rare.

I used to fly 2D, but since moving to the 40" desktop/view, it is incredibly limiting and unrealistic. The VC's provide far more realism with the peripheral views.

I guess we all have our own perception of what is most realistic, and I guess that's why I asked the question. The answers have been interesting!

My video card (Nvidia 7800) has two outputs, so I use them both. Works much better than I expected it to! In FS9, it's incredibly smooth and beautiful, while FSX is a bit more taxing on my system.

• 4 years later...

In FS9, I'll generally use 2D panels, due to gauge loading times etc. in VC. There are a few expections (JF Mossie/Lanc), but generally 2D for airliners.

For FSX, however, I use the VC more than the 2D. Out of the three aircraft I've reviewed/reviewing, only 1 came with a 2D, so I've migrated over to using the VC

In FS9, I'll generally use 2D panels, due to gauge loading times etc. in VC. There are a few expections (JF Mossie/Lanc), but generally 2D for airliners.

For FSX, however, I use the VC more than the 2D. Out of the three aircraft I've reviewed/reviewing, only 1 came with a 2D, so I've migrated over to using the VC

I don't like that most new aircraft don't come with 2D, which is a pain when you have to create your own 2d, especially if you don't have a panel editor!

I mainly use the VC, but depending on the model I bring up 2D panels for some tasks like programing the FMC.

But after splashing out some cash on EZdok camera addon I've reduced the use of 2D panels even further since I now can set up a custom camera view for those situations instead, and turn off any head movement on those views to reduce the problem of movement from turbulence that can be a big issue othervise.

I dislike virtual cockpits; I prefer to fly the aircraft with the best visual representation of the instruments. I dislike the quality of the VC (reminiscent of a Childs crayon drawing) and also the minimal magnification of the exterior view, wrong perspective and very unrealistic, the lighting in the VC is awful when the source of the illumination is from a particular angle.

You took the words right out of my mouth, except....I say them about 2D cockpits.

Last time I ever used a 2D cockpit was in FS9, and only because there was no VC. OK, the old VC's were not brilliant, and maybe then 2D was superior, but nowadays I don't even think I have a single aircraft in my sim that actually has a 2D cockpit.

Some VC's are OK, but most are absolutely brilliant, with all A2A VC's, the Aerosoft Catalina and A320/1 and the Saab Safir as shining examples:

FX2410.jpg

jk1376.jpg

FX1525.jpg

You took the words right out of my mouth, except....I say them about 2D cockpits.

Last time I ever used a 2D cockpit was in FS9, and only because there was no VC. OK, the old VC's were not brilliant, and maybe then 2D was superior, but nowadays I don't even think I have a single aircraft in my sim that actually has a 2D cockpit.

Some VC's are OK, but most are absolutely brilliant, with all A2A VC's, the Aerosoft Catalina and A320/1 and the Saab Safir as shining examples:

I can add the PMDG 737NGX and J41 to those examples of brilliant VCs...

• 1 month later...

3D all the way for me too. The 3D - TrackIR combination I find to be a way more realistic flying experience. I don't fly big jets though so can't comment on the big birds :whis:

I also don't fly the big jets. Jankees, in your post you talk about the 2D panels being unsatisfactory, but have you considered getting a more realistic and over all better looking 2d? Here is an example: http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_70_72&products_id=1194

My responses at the top of this thread are very dated. After seeing and getting a TrackIR 5, 3D is the only way to go for me. I do use a second monitor and put a variety of pop-ups on that, which remain stationary. I put things that need "mousing" there, to avoid the dreaded mouse-pointer archery trying to click a moving target. That works very well. Sometimes I even create custom pop-ups for that purpose if I can't find any other way to do it. Tuning a radio in a 3D with TIR is frustratingly difficult, but having the radios on the 2nd monitor solves the problem without having to drop back to 2D or pause the view or any other such tomfoolery - it's very natural and just works.

The whole FS experience is improved tremendously. The first time you cock your head with the TIR to continue watching traffic that is disappearing behind a window post will sell you on it.

John

2D only for me too! ...... having a "physical" cockpit, the 3D virtual cockpit is of absolutely no interest!!

My aim (nearly achieved) is to have no keyboard or mouse use in flight ... and with the 2D panel I can modify and reposition all guages to my liking ... eg in the FSX default B737-800:-

<a  href=http://www.wideview.it/images/WV-B737.JPG' alt='WV-B737.JPG'>

Because of the above setup the lack of 2D panels in many new aircraft addons is very annoying ... how do other home cockpit builders cope with this I wonder?

Another point ... how do you fly with only 2 forward views (the screen bezel being right in the middle of your takeoff/landing axis!)??

David

OOPS! ... a second attempt to get this photo inserted ... (sorry for my clumsiness!!!)

2D only for me too! ...... having a "physical" cockpit, the 3D virtual cockpit is of absolutely no interest!!

My aim (nearly achieved) is to have no keyboard or mouse use in flight ... and with the 2D panel I can modify and reposition all guages to my liking ... eg in the FSX default B737-800:-

http://www.wideview.it/images/WV-B737.JPG

Because of the above setup the lack of 2D panels in many new aircraft addons is very annoying ... how do other home cockpit builders cope with this I wonder?

Another point ... how do you fly with only 2 forward views (the screen bezel being right in the middle of your takeoff/landing axis!)??

David

LAST TRY!!! ... to get this photo inserted ... (sorry for my clumsiness!!!)

http://www.wideview.it/images/WV-B737.JPG

David

how do you fly with only 2 forward views (the screen bezel being right in the middle of your takeoff/landing axis!)??

The left-hand monitor (larger) is centered in front of me with the main FS view (windscreen and panel). The second smaller monitor is to the right and angled slightly toward me with radio stack and other pop-ups placed on it. It feels for all the world like a center console in a cockpit. It's very satisfactory.

Like you I don't much care for using the keyboard, but use VAC to create audible commands for things like that. For instance, to acknowledge ATC in Radar Contact, instead of pressing the "7" key, I say "Transmit 7". I could as easily have made that "N12345, Acknowledge", or any other spoken response. VAC can record and play back some very complex keyboard macros, including specifying the timing and pause durations between multiple keypresses. Though I haven't eliminated the keyboard completely, it could easily be done with that.

John

Since I use three 19 "TFT screens http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/, is a 2D view not to use. Also of clicking back and forth in the 2D panel sucks. With three monitors and a good virtual cockpit, it's as good as real. The Matrox-Unit can be set directly on the flight simulator (conjunction).

Everyone should decide for themselves what one likes most. :)