Guess The Airport 2011...

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry that I only reply now; had an Internet outage yesterday. The city, which shares its name with the airport, claims the unofficial title "Capital of Jutland." It is the second largest city in its home country (which also happens to be Hamlet's home country).

Did you notice the complex-shaped terminal building in the airport layout?. I've recently figured out how to do that for airports where such buildings exist in FS, which is at most large or medium sized commercial/civil fields.

They don't come up on my normal image source as the stock FS (i.e. rectangular) buildings do, so they've always just been absent in my plates. I can add them now without too much fooling around. As you know, some airports are characterized by the shape of their main terminal buildings and I'm pleased that I can now include them.

In the meantime, how's the search coming?

John

More clues needed, I see...

1) Near a long-dormant volcano in a moderately geologically-active country

2) Within 20 miles of the sea

3) That's a closed runway just north/east of 15/33

4) The airport is not named for the city, but there is a VOR/DME on the field that is

5) The runway is less than 10,000 feet long

6) Old money is still the best clue

John

The old money clue had me foxed, actually, and I kept looking at New York, as a Google search brought up a Wikipedia article on old, wealthy families and most had ties to New York. I also thought that the first clue referred to a city, not an airport, and so I kept looking for countries with Capital cities smaller than their other, more well known cities. :blush: By total luck, I came across Rome and saw Ciampino, but I was convinced that the airport must by in New York somewhere. The clue about Vesuvius led me to the right airport.

Ok Here it is.

ss219.jpg

The aircraft is NOT a clue.

The airport is at an elevation of 62ft/19m

The airport is only in operation from Sunrise to Sunset

Of the group of islands this airport is on, this is the easternmost island.