Guess The Airport 2011...

A winner on the first try. Nice job, Marcel. I thought that rotating the airport layout 45 degrees might throw a twist in it but it didn't fool you. That's where the Orions live.

Over to you for the next one.

John

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks John. To be honest, I used Google to look for a list of Orion airbases, and Jacksonville fit the layout.:blush:

2011-7-11_6-49-11-421.jpg

1) The aircraft is a clue.

2) According to an anecdotal story published in the New York Times, the first Alaskan Airlines flight at this airport needed deicing services but none was available, so the flight crew acquired a large quantity of Vodka and sprayed it onto the wings!:rofl: (Source is Wikipedia)

Edit: Forgot to mention that the scenery is not default. Also, here is another clue: The aircraft mentioned in the anecdote was an MD-82.

UHMM Sokol Airport in Magadan

Didn't find the vodka anecdot on wiki though, so it might be elsewhere...

EDIT: Must need glasses.. it was on the airport wiki, not in the Alaskan airlines article... :icon_thumbup:

In order to keep the challange going I'll reuse an old shot of mine.

04takeoffroll.jpg

Not much to go on in the shot, so a few clues.

1. It was a stop in the latest ATWC

2. The airport is the home of it's countrys Airforce museum

3. Officially opened in 1929

Thanks Stu

Right, here's mine then. Not a great picture, but I'll give a few clues :

-2011-mar-2-070.jpg

1) Terminal 2 was built and opened recently

2) Dragon's may be seen around

3) There's a good outdoor viewing area off Runway 28

4) You'll need to be lucky......

I only got clue 4, but quickly looked through the airport diagrams for Ireland and that big ramp and the approach ends of 28 and 34 seemed to match the photo. Without clue 4 I'd have been digging for references to the Dragon Rapide, which I think is what you were referring to in clue 2.

Anyway, will have another in a few hours.

John

These AC have used this airport:

• A380
  • Airbus Beluga
  • An-124
  • B-707B (Travolta's)
  • B-747
  • Boeing Dreamlifter (not Dreamliner, but maybe that too, later this year)
  • C-5 Galaxy
  • C-141 Starlifter
  • Concorde
  • Rutan Voyager
  • Space Ship One & the White Knight

John

y4m27jYBq9IGFsIyIcSr6O5XOlyX9tsQcSzmNlXn

y4mRIGmPlvou1_AOXg9VaSTDqWXc6MgAfu2HEzod

Sorry chaps, brain fart! CSoul was right; it is Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays

Memo to self: Don't go on the forums before drinking coffee! (for some reason, I read his answer as being Lord Howe Island :whis: )

Sorry chaps, brain fart! CSoul was right; it is Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays

Memo to self: Don't go on the forums before drinking coffee! (for some reason, I read his answer as being Lord Howe Island :whis: )

:rofl:

I know that feeling, and speaking of coffee I think it's time for a cup...

Thanks, Tim. Beautiful scenery in that shot, by the way. Here's the new one, and hopefully a tough one.

2011-7-13_19-27-12-203.jpg

Here are the clues:

1) The terminal in the scenery is very accurate and looks almost exactly like the real thing.

2) The airport is not located within the city with which it shares its name but rather in a town that goes by a different name.

Here's the layout

2011-7-13_19-43-23-890.jpg

Edit: Clue 3) This airport was used as a cold war military airbase by allied forces until the 1990s.

Dang.. I'm pretty sure I've seen that Terminal building before, just can't connect the dots all the way..

At first I was thinking Sweden, given the SAS Livery used, but clue 3 rules that out since we were, at least officialy, neutral during the cold war.