Guess The Airport 2011...

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That appears to be San Cristobal (SEST) in the Gallapagoes Islands, off (and owned by) Ecuador.

John

EDIT: I think Sabre's got it - he just got the ICAO code wrong. Nice job, Sabre. That, of course, assumes that it really is San Cristobal - that's for Troy to say.

JDA

EDIT: I think Sabre's got it - he just got the ICAO code wrong. Nice job, Sabre. That, of course, assumes that it really is San Cristobal - that's for Troy to say.

JDA

Ooops put IATA Code :001_th_smiles48: Sorry

Yep, It is San Cristobal, SEST.

Well done.

Yeah got it right and a full 5 minutes before John :winka:

I'll put up the new one tonight when I get in from work.

No clues as it's my first ever submission and I have no idea how easy this is. Actually there are some clues elsewhere on the forum in another of my posts :D

I suspect this will be easy for the veterans though :P

Guess.jpg

Built by the French a long time ago, heavily used by the USAF in the past, amongst others; now a thriving international airport in a city that has changed names.

My traffic program has these airlines showing there, plus one other that I didn't list because it would be a dead give-away...

- Pacific Airlines

- Air Deccan

- Malaysia Airlines

- Air France

- Miat Mongolain

- Phuket Air

- Lufthansa

- Bouraq

- Thai

- Shanghai Airlines

There may be others - this was just a snapshot of who was there at the moment I checked. It's a fairly old traffic program so airlines currently servicing the place could be somewhat different.

Top-Down.jpg

Thanks. Would not have got it unless I remembered that Vietnam was once part of French Indochina. :D

2011-7-22_19-32-6-531.jpg

1) Land here and you would be at risk of suffering AMS.

2) The runway is almost as long, in feet, as the airport's height above sea level.

The aircraft is a clue.

Close. The two do look very similar. And they are within 300nm of each other.

3) The exact difference between height and runway length, according to FSX, is 197ft.

4) This airport made a brief appearance in James Bond: Quantum of Solace. (or rather, the interior of its terminal building)

Right plane, right paint, right airport shape, NO FLAPS. Oh, and yesterday was the anniversary date. Other than that, just a wild guess.

Is it right?

John

Of course - just winding you up, John! I did try to make it look 'realistic' - got the pilot to side-slip - flaps and speed brakes inoperative due to low oil pressure. Unfortunately, the default scenery doesn't have the drag-strip barriers... :whis:

Well Done! O.K., where to now? :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

For this challenge, something a little different. Explore the four lines radiating from 0/0 where latitude and longitude values are numerically equal. The airport I've selected lies almost exactly on one of those lines, i.e. it's latitude and longitude values are nearly identical, varying by less than 0.2 minutes in one version of FS and with no variation at all (precision in minutes to two decimal places) in the other.

The airport is remote and unremarkable but there is an obvious geographical feature in one of the screenshots that will help you assure than you've discovered the correct place. One screenshot is from FSX and the other is from FS9.

TopDown.jpg

Approach.jpg