The life of a SAS 737-600

I'm currently doing a review of FS2Crew product for the PMDG 737NGX, and my plan is to follow in the footsteps of a Scandinavian 737-600 during two work days in early may this year to put both the Voice Control version and the Button Control Version to the test.

Knowing me I will take way more screenshots than I will need for the review (let's face it, screenshots of the scenery won't be needed when reviewing a FS2Crew product) so I figured I'd share the flights with you lot.

The plane I chose to follow is a 736 with registration number LN-RPG (I think the SAS livery for the 736 from PMDG is of another plane, but it will do. It was the first 736 I found on Flightradar24.com with plenty of flights), and I will conduct the same flights that it flew on the 2nd and 3rd of May this year. It will be a total of 11 flights, and I will then finish of with a 12th fictional flight to get 6 flights each for the two versions of the product.

All flights will be flown with real world weather as it is when the flight is flown by me.

Flightplans are real world plans as reported on RW FPL DB for the routes using a 736, but none of them are from the actual dates. I chose the most recent plan that was used by SAS with a 736 for all flights but the one from ESSA to ENGM where no flightplans were available, but since airway N623 goes from ESSA to ENGM the route was really a no brainer....

The flights will be as follows.

Departure - Destination - Route - Cruise Alt

Malmö Sturup ESMS - Arlanda ESSA - ESMS via SID to NEXIL via N851 to TRS via STAR to ESSA - FL370

Arlanda ESSA - Dublin EIDW - ESSA via SID to ARS via N623 to BEDLAvia P609 to NIVUN via UM82 to RIVOT via UM89 to TRN via UP600 to BLACA via UP620 to NIMAT via STAR to EIDW - FL380

Dublin EIDW - Arlanda - ESSA - EIDW via SID to ROTEV via UP600 to TRN via UM89 to RIVOT via UM82 to NIVUN via P609 to ARGIB via P607 to ELTOK via STAR to ESSA - FL 390

Arlanda ESSA - Düsseldorf EDDL - ESSA via SID to NOSLI via N850 to BAGOS via UN850 to PERIK via T851 to XAMOD via STAR to EDDL - FL400

Düsseldorf EDDL - Arlanda ESSA - EDDL via SID to MEVEL via Y850 to BASUM via UM170 to STADE via UZ102 to HAMvia UP605 to MEGAR via P605 to GESKA via N851 to TRS via STAR to ESSA - FL270

Arlanda ESSA - Düsseldorf EDDL - ESSA via SID to NOSLI via N850 to BAGOS via UN850 to PERIK via T851 to XAMOD via STAR to EDDL - FL400

Düsseldorf EDDL - Arlanda ESSA - EDDL via SID to MEVEL via Y850 to BASUM via UM170 to STADE via UZ102 to HAMvia UP605 to MEGAR via P605 to GESKA via N851 to TRS via STAR to ESSA - FL270

Arlanda ESSA - Saint Petersburg ULLI - ESSA via SID to NTL via N851 to RIKUM via UN851 to UXETI via UN873 to VIBEP via UL24 to OLEMA via G34 to MOLEG via STAR to ULLI - FL 410

Saint Petersburg ULLI - Arlanda ESSA - ULLI via SID to RANVA via UL870 to TLL via UL77 to LUPET via L77 to XILAN via STAR to ESSA - FL400

Arlanda ESSA - Berlin Tegel - EDDT - ESSA via SID to NOSLI via N850 to MEMBA via N33 to BIKRU via UN33 to POBOX via UZ131 to RODEP via T208 to GOBLO via STAR to EDDT - FL400

Berlin Tegel EDDT - Arlanda ESSA - EDDT via SID to RAKIT via UM725 to KOGIM via UM44 to ARGAD via UZ400 to BAKLI via Z400 to ALM via M736 to NEXIL via N851 to TRS via STAR to ESSA - FL400

Arlanda ESSA - Oslo Gardemoen ENGM - ESSA via SID to ARS via N623 to ESEBA via STAR to ENGM - FL240

As you can see I will know my way around ESSA once I'm done ;)

I'm currently trying to gather as much of the navigation charts as I can from EAD where all Aerodome information for my destinations, apart from ULLI are available.

If any one find real world charts for ULLI please supply me with a link....

I'm hoping to get the first flight done tonight or tomorrow night...

I'll get back to you with the screenshots as soon as I can.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dai. I'm really looking forward to this too. Did a quick and dirty test last night, and it was a really nice experience. Unfortunatly my FPS dropped to the point where it was impossible to continue once I started to taxi to the runway, even with UT2 traffic and REX weather switched off :(

That dreaded reinstallation of windows and all my FSX-stuff are moving closer I fear.....

At least it's fairly short flights, most of them shouldn't take more than 90 minutes in the air plus 30-45 minutes of pre- and postflight checks, prehaps with the exception of Stockholm - Dublin and back again...

now, if I only could get the speech recognition engine to understand everything I say. If I say "On" it hears "Off". If I say "Off" it doesn't understand me at all, at least not as far as a valid command in FS2Crew. It makes a bit hard to get through the checklists in a proper manner ;)

Then you really should go ahead and get yourself a First Officer to boss around from FS2Crew if you havn't already done so....

Takes the workload way down..

Most of the time when I fly I cannot chat into a mic because my wife watches television in same room. I'll have a look I think because I don't even know what it does exactly.

The part that I have not learnt yet is the FMC - I can put in the destination and departure airports etc just to get the vc display to load up but the approaches and other info I have not learnt.

Just like I have not learnt how to ILS landing with autopilot either :)

@UKJim: The version for the NGX comes with both voice control and Button control, so if you can't use a mic you can always fall back on using the keyboard. Most of the functions are there, but I don't think you can ask the First Officer to tune the radios change the settings on the MCP.. and you can always wait for my review before making a decision...

@Kieran: Indeed I will.. havn't done a landing on Ireland in ages, only flown over it during the Mebar, so it's about time ;)

I think I will mate because I'm not sure what the full feature list is etc so you will be teaching me something :)

The main thing I wish to learn is the FMC programming for destinations and approaches. Could take a while tho :(

And that is not covered by FS2Crew since it's the captains responsibility..

and on another note;

:gaah:

Just finished a 30 minute pre-flight @ ESMS, only to have the push-back truck push me into a building with a crash and flight reset as the end result.....

Well.. I might as well give you a few shots to wet your appetite.

Early morning at the Airport hotel in Malmö.. Departure is planned for 7:30 GMT so I'd better be awake in time..

001-hotel-accomodations.jpg

Not far to go from the hotel to the airport atleast..

002-close-to-the-airport-too.jpg

It's a quite morning at ESMS.. just a local competitor preparing to depart for Stockholm Bromma (ESSB)

003-slow-morning.jpg

My first officer took this during his walk-around... I guess he felt like we were in no rush...

004-i-guess-my-fo-is-there-somewhere.jpg

And here comes another company 736 by the looks of it...

005-oh-a-friend-to-play-with.jpg

Well, that's it for now... departure delayed due to incompetent ground crew... an inspection crew in enroute to check the damage, and the air port administrator has ensured me that it will not happen again (in other words, crash detection is turned of in FSX from this moment forward) ;)

Micke, it's looking good. That's quite project you've got.

Ukmike, FS2Crew voice command is great. I love giving the First Officer orders and having them followed. Adds a whole other dimension to FSX.

Thanks guys.

@TRB: Can't blame FSX pushback. Actually I guess I was at fault. FS2Crew comes with a built in pushback feature where you set how far you want to be pushed, and I was alot closer to the edge of the Apron than I thought... At least two, and possibly three of the destinations are AES compatible, so I have full service with intelligent pushback there...

@Joe: I aim to please ;)

@Seatac: Not only can you give orders to your FO, you can do the same with the FAs too... just need to find a way to get those orders to reach the wife too, so that cup of tea actually appears on my desktop... then again, prehaps that's a bad idea.... ;)

Thanks guys.

@Seatac: Not only can you give orders to your FO, you can do the same with the FAs too... just need to find a way to get those orders to reach the wife too, so that cup of tea actually appears on my desktop... then again, prehaps that's a bad idea.... ;)

You are quite correct. I can ring up the FA and ask her for breakfast or a cup 'o joe. I tried asking my wife, but the service was not very good. :(

You can also get pushback via voice and even have the FO perform the takeoff.

Let's continue.

The aircraft suffered only minor damage after the collision, and was back in service once a replacement crew was available.

Pending an investigation by SAS and Swedavia, that manages the airport, the flight crew and involved ground crew was suspended from duty.

After a week of investigation into the accident for flight SK285 out of Malmö the pilots were cleard of all responsibilty and found them self back at ESMS to resume their duties. The involved ground crew still had a job, but were reassigned from their current duties and demoted to cargo handling.

This time around the push back went without hickups, and we were ready to taxi on schedule

006-pushback-went-much-smoother-this-time.jpg

Not sure what happend to my take-off and departure shots, I thought I snapped a few but there where no where to be found once the flight was completed, so here we find our self approaching our cruise altitude of 37.000 feet

007-climbing-out-somewhere-over-southern-sweden.jpg

Passing over Växjö, with Kronoberg-Växjö Airport (ESMX)

008-passing-emsx-vaxjoe.jpg

A very short flight, so ATC started clearing us down after a very short cruise

009-time-to-head-down.jpg

Passing over the southern parts of Stockholm, with Stockholm-Bromma (ESSB) off my left bow

010-essb-on-my-left-bow.jpg

Opted to shoot a full instrument approach with ILS into runway 19R, here we are heading north with everything set up for our approach

011-set-up-for-an-full-instrument-approach-and-landing.jpg

Passing east of our destination, with the PAPI lights for runway 26 in sight

012-essa-of-my-left-bow.jpg

On long final, letting the FMC do the job. Glideslope and localizer about to kick in

013-gs-and-localizer-alive.jpg

No doubt we can make this landing, just some minor winds from the south east

014-time-to-land.jpg

Flaps 30, Gear down, green lights all around, speedbrake armed. Landing checklist complete.

015-in-full-autoland-mode.jpg

Down safe and sound, taxiing to gate 17. Ended up at the international terminal even though this was a domestic flight. I guess the passengers will have to take the bus over to their teriminal.

016-taxi-to-gate-17.jpg

Hmm.. might be time to update Ultimate Traffic 2. That Malev 736 shouldn't be flying today should it??

017-wont-be-seeing-one-of-those-again.jpg

External power connected, and we are almost ready to shut her down. A glance at the clock tells me we have about 45 minutes until we depart for Dublin

018-about-35-minutes-until-the-next-flight-shut-her-down-please.jpg

Fill her up and restock the bar please, we want to be ready for boarding in 10 minutes.

019-fill-er-up-and-restock-the-supplies.jpg

The best thing, apart from making it to ESSA in one piece, was that FS2Crew understood almost everything I said.

Now I'm off to try and find some nice freeware scenery for Dublin. See you in a bit with the next leg.

Super shots and descriptions mate. Quick question tho about fs2crew - you said external power was connected, did you do this or the FO?

I'm looking forward to your next installment :)

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim

In this case I connected it myself, but you can tell the FO or the Ground Crew to connect it for you. If you set up the FS2Crew config with the intention of using ground power at you destination it's all done automatically, with a special workflow to ensure you don't switch of your engines until the external source is connected.

I think you can tell them to do it on the fly too, if you choose to switch over from APU to ground power, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Enjoyed your series of shots and the comments were great.

One thing I noticed, all your instuments are spot on but the runway indicator lights show you as low on the approach. I do not fly the jets often but why is that?