The life of a SAS 737-600

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back at ESSA again after a hard days work, but me and FRAPS didn't get along. Or rather, the key I have assigned for screenshots on the Joystick didn't have a good day.

Most of the screenshots I thought I took never ended up at their destination, but hopefully I can sting some sort of story together with what I did get. Will post tonight or tomorrow.

To sum up the flights of the first day of the adventure everything has been in working order (although I did get some sort of engine failure warning on engine 1 as we were taxiing to our gate at ESSA on the last flight), and the voice control version of FS2Crew worked like a charm with a few small exceptions. After a day following a real life schedule I was about 20 minutes late to ESSA on the last flight. A fair reslut I'd say....

I also got word that my first flight to and from Düsseldorf tomorrow has been cancelled (that engine failure needs to be checked before they let me up again), so next up is a flight to St. Petersburg.. this time with the button control version of FS2Crew.

• 4 weeks later...

Well now, I had completely forgot to post the few shots I got from our Düsseldorf - Arlanda flight, but they will be up later on tonight along with the flight to St. Petersburg.

The engineers found no problems with the No.1 Engine dispite the failure message during taxi, and gave us a go ahead for the flight with plenty of time to spare. Still it was nice to not have to go down to Düsseldorf for a second time ;)

Got stuck with other things last night, but I have the shots with me to work so I can upload them today. And as an added bonus you will also get the return flight from ULLI to ESSA..

@Alan: I trusted the ILS to guide me down, but just wait until you see the approach into ULLI :stars:

Time to post some images to make some progress in this adventure.

First up I feel I need to appologize for the shots on the leg from EDDL to ESSA. The quality of the shots are at times rather bad. I really need to stop using the MS Office Picture Manager for resizing the images, the JPG compressor in that piece of software just isn't up to scratch, and in the night images it became very apperant.

But let's get on with it.

As mentioned before I had some issues with FRAPS and my joystick on this flight, so the shots I thought I took prior to this one never showed up in the intended folder.

So for that reason we join the flight once established at our cruise altitude somewhere over germany.

001-established-in-cruise.jpg

Plenty of clouds over mainland europe, and the darkness is setting in

002-clouds-and-darkness.jpg

Somewhere over northern Germany

003-wingview-somewhere-over-germany.jpg

If I remember correctly we have Copenhagen on our left side, and Malmö on our right side

004-copenhagen-and-malm-.jpg

The moon is high as we head up over mainland sweden

005-moonlighting.jpg

Still heading north over Sweden

006-going-north.jpg

Just south of the TRS VOR with the STAR for runway 26 plugged into the FMC

007-almost-ready-to-join-the-star.jpg

And the moon is still watching over our progress

008-and-the-moon-is-watching.jpg

Not sure where we are, but it might be the runway lights showing in the distance

009-somewhere-close-to-home.jpg

Safe and sound back on the ground, getting guidence from the Follow me truck to our gate

010-taxi-to-the-terminal.jpg

At the gate trying to figure out why there's a failure notice for engine No 1. Better get maintence on it straight away.

010-hmm-what-s-wrong-here.jpg

Just passed 21:30 Zulu (22:30 local) and it's time to get some sleep after a long work day. Engineers are enroute to check the engine, but management already decided to cancel our flight to Düsseldorf tomorrow morning.

011-time-to-close-up-shop-and-go-to-sleep.jpg

Next stop ULLI in St. Petersburg (see next post)

With the Düsseldorf flight cancelled the crew arrive well rested for a noon departure to St. Petersburg.

The engineers found no issues with the malfunctioning engine and gave a green light for the flight.

So let's get her started

001-geting-ready-to-go.jpg

Pre-Flight complete waiting for pushback

002-waiting-for-pushback.jpg

Taxiing out to runway 19L for our departure

003-taxi-to-rwy-19l.jpg

Passing my favourite Spotting location on our left. The empty area to our right is where the two Caravelles in this topic are parked

004-passing-my-favorite-spotting-position-on-the-left.jpg

Holding behind other traffic. Prehaps I can blow it out of my way if I apply full reverse thrust... :pilotic:

005-will-it-go-away-if-i-apply-reverse-thrust.jpg

The Cessna is out of my way, but there was still some inbound to wait for.

006-company-md80-coming-in-to-land.jpg

More waiting

007-waiting-for-more-traffic.jpg

Something slightly smaller in build was on final too

008-smaller-thing-this-time.jpg

Finally on my way climbing out over the Baltic Sea. Passing over Mariehamn on the Finnish Island of Åland.

009-passing-mariehamn.jpg

Still got mainland sweden in view far behind us, and a range of islands that are scattered across the Baltic sea between sweden and finland.

010-baltic-sea-and-the-land-archipelago.jpg

Over mainland finland, probably close to Helsinki. On the other side of the water is Estonia.

011-mainland-finland-with-estonia-across-the-bay.jpg

Almost at the ToD. Time to get clearance for our decent from ATC.

012-approaching-tod.jpg

Turing over the last enroute waypoint to begin the STAR for runway 28L

013-heading-down-final-turn-before-the-star.jpg

Strange route for the STAR. This is going to take a rather steep turn to get on track for 28L.

014-how-hard-do-i-need-to-turn.jpg

The ILS was slightly misaligned by the looks of it. Autopilot off please, let's set her down manually.

015-way-too-low.jpg

Got down in one piece, but it was a rough one. Let's head for our parking spot.

016-taxi-in.jpg

Parked, all ground connections in place and ready to deboard.

017-parked-up.jpg

Next up our return flight to ESSA.

Time to return to Stockholm

001-ready-to-get-her-started.jpg

I keep forgetting I can deploy the air stairs, but letting the passengers climb onboard means they are rather tired and thirsty so they buy more drinks :whis:

002-guess-i-need-the-airstairs.jpg

The moon is already rising as we head out to 28L for our departure.

003-moon-is-rising.jpg

Saying goodbye to Russia for the time being

004-leaving-russia.jpg

Taking a more southern route back home. Somewhere over Estonia, but it's finland that's in view behind us.

005-over-estonia.jpg

As we start to decend the swedish mainland comes into view in the distance.

006-decending-with-sweden-in-sight.jpg

But there's still plenty of water to cross before we get there

007-coming-in-to-swedish-airspace.jpg

Looking south over the stockholm archipelago.

008-stockholm-arcipelago.jpg

While the moon was rising in St. Petersburg the sun is still high in Stockholm

009-sun-still-high-in-stockholm.jpg

Turning on to finals for Runway 19R with a norwegian 737-800 heading down to 19L

010-turning-to-finals-for-19r.jpg

Localizer and Glide slope are active

011-loclizer-and-gs-alive.jpg

Looks like this ILS is better aligned that the one in St. Petersburg

012-short-final.jpg

Flaps 30, gear down. Let's put the rubber on the tarmac.

013-minimums.jpg

Vacating with room to spare

014-vacating.jpg

Heading back to the terminal

015-heading-back-to-the-terminal.jpg

A slightly thight fit at gate 15.

016-gate-15-tight-spot.jpg

Air Baltic waiting at the next gate. Probably heading for Tallin soon.

017-competitor-waiting-at-the-next-gate.jpg

And that's it for now, next destination Berlin Tegel.

Thanks guys.

I hope to find the time to get the next leg done tonight, but it might take me some time to get the images published.

We have our Auditors visiting at work tomorrow to look over our accounts for the year... :(

Thanks Max.

I hope I can get the shots of the next flight (ESSA-EDDT) up tonight, managed to find the time to fly it yesterday.

Took me quite some time to get the flight plan sorted though.. two of the intersections I grabbed from the RW FPL DB as published in the opening post was misspelled.

The plan as I typed it from the site...

Arlanda ESSA - Berlin Tegel - EDDT - ESSA via SID to NOSLI via N850 to MEMBA via N33 to BIKRU via UN33 to POBOX via UZ131 to RODEP via T208 to GOBLO via STAR to EDDT - FL400

and the way it should have been...

Arlanda ESSA - Berlin Tegel - EDDT - ESSA via SID to NOSLI via N850 to NEMBA via N33 to BIKRU via UN33 to POBOX via UZ131 to RODEP via T208 to GOLBO via STAR to EDDT - FL400

Both of the misspelled intersections do exist with the spelling I put into the flight planner, but MEMBA is somewhere deep in russia, and GOBLO was somewhere in the middle east if I remember correctly. The MEMBA/NEMBA problem I spotted rather quickly in the flight planner, but not the GOBLO/GOLBO issue. That one I spotted when I imported the flight plan into the NGX and my FMC claimed I didn't have enough fuel, even with full tanks!!

So, let's head for Berlin

A stopover at home means Cleaning, Catering, Refueling and emptying of the lavatory :wacko2:

001-catering-cleaning-and-refueling.jpg

A Norwegian 738 taking off. Wonder where my competitor is heading for.. anyway, with all other necesary procedures done let's start boarding...

002-competitor-taking-off.jpg

Come on you guys, we're almost flying empty on this leg, you've got to be finished loading the bags by now!

003-load-that-luggage.jpg

Finally pushing back, but we're late. I just hope the once sloted behind me suffered from the same slow cargo handlers

004-pushback.jpg

I guess not, both BA and FinnAir managed to sneak by me...

005-missed-our-slot.jpg

And another Norwegian inline ahead of them. Guess we can take it slow on our way to the runway.

006-thats-some-line.jpg

Finally taking of from runway 19R, following the NOSLI SID passing over the township of Märsta, my hometown until december last year. But I still pass that roundabout every morning on my way to work.

007-passing-marsta.jpg

Speaking of my work, somewhere behind all those clouds is where I spend my workdays...

008-still-climbing.jpg

Oh my, didn't realize we had someone in the jumpseat for this flight. Ehm, welcome aboard I guess...

009-jumpseat-view.jpg

Passing over the small city of Åhus in the south of sweden, ready to head out over the Baltic Sea.

010-passing-ahus.jpg

And there's the water, but not to far before we are over dry land again.

011-over-the-baltic-sea.jpg

Decending over northern Germany

012-heading-back-down.jpg

Berlin in sight..

013-berlin-in-sight.jpg

And so is our destination, should be visible on the right side, but the STAR/Transition will take us away to the east first...

014-eddt-straight-ahead.jpg

Before we can make a 180 degree turn on to finals

015-final-turn-to-finals.jpg

Setting sun, flaps 30 and gears down and locked... let's land this baby...

016-let-it-all-hang-loose.jpg

So many airports in Berlin, and all of them seem to have the same orientation on their runways. Let's hope I'm aiming for the right one..

017-lets-hope-im-aiming-for-the-correct-airport.jpg

500 feet to go

018-500-to-go.jpg

Not far now...

019-no-problem-seeing-where-im-going.jpg

Ease her down captain.

020-almost-there.jpg

Down, safe and sound. Let's follow that checkered car, he looks like he knows where he's going...

021-heading-to-parking.jpg

Plenty of Air Berlin Flights here.

022-air-berlin-homebase.jpg

Gate 57, I think I deboarded here when we went to Berlin back in 2010. We had to ride a bus from the plane to that "far away" white building...

023-follow-the-guide.jpg

Parked up and ready to deboard.

024-lets-deboard.jpg

That's it for now, hope you enjoyed.

Cheers.

Time for the last passenger flight on this adventure, the last flight in to Gardemoen is just a ferry flight.

Boarding in Berlin

001-boarding.jpg

Pushback was a bit messy (my fault for doing things in the wrong order), but at least we didn't hit anything

002-pushback.jpg

Scandinavian 285 Taxi to and hold short of Runway 26R.

003-taxi-to-26r.jpg

Climbing almost straight out, following the SID, and in about two seconds we do a 180 turn...

004-climbing-out.jpg

Climbing towards FL400 over northern germany

005-northern-germany.jpg

Once again both Malmö and Copenhagen in the same shot, but this time both are off my left bow

006-malm-and-copenhagen.jpg

Traffic!! Yelled my FO... I think he's a bit wet behind his ears.. that Lear is 3.000 feet below us, relax...

007-traffic.jpg

Cruising over Sweden. The moon is keeping us company tonight too

008-cruising-with-the-moon.jpg

And all of a sudden ATC wants us to decend to FL120! Well, it was time to head back down again, but in order to meet the request and be level at 12.000 by the time we pass the TRS VOR we had to make a rather steep decent.

009-diving-towards-the-ars-to-meet-my-crossing-restriction.jpg

Feels like I've flown this STAR a few times by now.. once again we arrive on runway 19R

010-runway-19r-again.jpg

Lovely night photo with us on short final

011-nice-mood-in-this-shot.jpg

And for once I didn't forget to grab a touchdown shot!

012-a-touchdown-shot-for-once.jpg

Ok, let's see now.. Yes, gate 17 is free, let's grab it before someone else does..

013-let-s-grab-a-gate.jpg

Parked up and shut down. Jobs done.

014-job-is-done.jpg