Which Traffic Program?

So, after using the default FSX traffic for a while now, I think it's about time to upgrade to a proper traffic program. I've considered both freeware and payware, but the freeware programs/packages are often fairly limited and incomplete, and it would be a pain to download and install all the packages for a certain program (since I want traffic for the whole world).

So, for payware, the main programs seem to be:

Just Flight Traffic X

Flight 1 Ultimate Traffic 2

Aerosoft MyTraffic 2010

MyTraffic X Pro

My main concerns are probably performance and aesthetics, but I also want to have a good variety of traffic (including commercial, GA, and preferably military).

Traffic X seems to have a good balance of features, including nice models, a good amount of traffic, and also a nice variety (and the Plus Packs are also available). However, I'm a bit cautious about the performance.

UT2 seems to have very nice models, and I've heard the frame rates are good, but it's limited to airline traffic, and that unique injection process is a little confusing. I've also heard that it doesn't come with AFCAD's, so aircraft will be parking all over the airport, regardless of their size and airline. I have also tried the demo for UT2, but it has crashed every time I tried opening it (not a good start).

Aerosoft MyTraffic 2010 seems to be a more conventional traffic product, and the frame rates are said to be very good. But some of the aircraft models are a little scary in my opinion. This program does, however, have GA and military traffic.

Lastly, MyTraffic X Pro looks to be similar to MyTraffic 2010, albeit with more aircraft and more routes. It seems to also be more updated. (the models still look basic, though)

Any opinions? :huh:

P.S. Yes, I know this sort of stuff has been asked before. I've looked at a lot of other threads on the topic, but I just want to see if there are any updated opinions.

As MyTraffic 2010 is just a simpler version of MyTraffic X, I suppose I could eliminate it.

But after doing more research, I think I'm leaning towards MyTraffic X. It has a very big variety of aircraft and liveries, seems to be quite good on performance, and is constantly updated (good to know Burkhard Renk is always improving it!). Anyone have suggestions?

Hey John.

I saw a post on the JustFlight forum a couple of weeks ago, where they said that a brand new JF traffic program may be released in the future, so if your money is not burning a hole in your pocket in may be worth hanging on a bit to see if that one is any good ;).

(sorry can't find the post right now, but will PM the link to you if I come across it again :) )

Cheer's...Graham...

The last time I checked Traffic X, the current JF traffic program, it did not permit you to set, adjust or change the altitude/flight level of AI flights. The program decides at what height the traffic flies and the user does not have the capabiltiy to specify it or change it.

Of course their traffic[*].bgl can always be decompiled, edited in another traffic editor and recompiled, but one shouldn't have to do that for a payware traffic program.

Hopefully that has been fixed in whatever is about to be released. JF is a pretty good outfit and I doubt they'll let this stand.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Damn! Im in the same position - looking for a good traffic programme - I was thinking of UT2 just because of the performance and its custom traffic injection so would not affect my frame rates etc.

Looks like I am going to have to wait :(

Yep, I'm still waiting.

The new Aerosoft offering (mentioned in my previous post) is just a "lite" version of MyTraffic X 5.4, so that can easily be crossed out.

Just Flight now has Traffic 360, which looks good, but I'm waiting for reviews.

Meanwhile, I'm quietly hoping Flight 1 will update Ultimate Traffic to include more airlines and military traffic, and do something about those AFCAD's (if I'm seeing the parking problem the right way, that is).

• 10 months later...

I bought ut2 and have no complaints about it! Plenty of traffic and customization options! No lag as it injects traffic and doesn't use fsx default.

My pc is not the best so less lag was important for me.

Hope this helps

Jim

my traffic floats my boat , as someone previously mentioned , it does what it says on the can, and no petty problems just use the fsx ai traffic to control quantities it could not be easier or simpler.

• 3 weeks later...

> need I say more?

Well actually, John, yes!  (Please).    ^_^

What do you like about Traffic 360? What don't you like about UT2? How do they compare?

Go on, you can tell us.....    :D

Cheers,

Brian

Ok here goes......

I started with UT 2 awhile ago and it does what is says on the tin...... until you land somewhere like RAF Valley.  And then the place is deserted, nothing... not a sausage.  UT 2 is fine if you visit large commercial airports and fly heavies, its not too bad if you fly GA. But go any where military and it like the RAF just had its budget slashed to nothing by the politicians. There is nothing flying at all, or if there is it is not appropriate to the airfield. but it is usually nothing.

Traffic 360 is just as good with the heavies and GA, may be better on GA, but fly a Hawk from Valley and you will be taking off along with all those other training budding fast jet pilots in their black hawks along with the odd  guy who has made the grade and is flying a Tornado or Typhoon. It really does give 360 traffic, and traffic that fits your location.  I fly a lot of military jets and much prefer this package as a result.

My only gripe with traffic 360 is the sound. sometimes it isn't as smooth as it should be with the odd aircraft sound cutting in or out a little too suddenly to be realistic. Having said that it is a far more comprehensive package than anything else I have tried and involves very little effort in getting it going. I can live with the sound as sometimes, say on takeoff, an aircraft will produce a sudden change of volume.

Hope this is useful,

J

I use Traffic360 as well and really like it for the customizability it offers plus, as John mentioned above it gives decent traffic that fits with the locale very well. I fly cargo (Air Hauler) out of PHNG, a US Marine air base on Oahu in the Hawaiian Islands, and at various times over a day there is a great mix of heavy to light mil traffic, US Navy jets and props, and a bunch of us civvies. 0600 to 0700 is heavy and I often find myself in a lineup, but 1200h-1400h it's pretty quiet, then you often get a busy time again. Beats the heck out of the stock AI traffic!

Thank you for your helpful input, gentlemen, that's really useful to know.  :)

I don't do mil (been there IRL) but I nonetheless find that if I land an airliner anywhere faintly unusual with UT2, it's a shock to find the place deserted,  as you say. And TBH, Jim, although I suppose I could configure UT2, I'd rather fly than spend time configuring my virtual traffic, so an off-the-shelf solution is more up my alley. Just lazy, I guess.   ;)

It's turning out to be an expensive year, simming-wise......    ^_^

But it's a Good Fault!    :thum:

Cheers,

Brian

I use Aerosoft Traffic 2013 and have found it OK.  I installed it never did anything more to it and just let it run itself.  Keeps me company around the skies.

A happy Chappie from Happyland..  :D  :D

Edit.  Question to Brian, Brian747, Brian777 or Bruce.  Are you suffering from multiple personality syndrome?  What do I call you? :stars:

James, it's simple!

Needles = Brian(B) AKA Brian OR Bunsen

Brian747 = Brian( C) AKA Bruce

The idea is that we don't confuse the two Brian's as they are both Mutley Crew, usually the avatar gives it away!