Virtual Airlines/Flying Clubs - what are you a part of?

Just thought I would start this topic for a bit of chatty fun - I recently joined a VA called FlyUK and got wondering whether anyone else in the Mutley community is part of a VA or flying club?

I joined FlyUK as they have the usual scheduled flights like any other VA, but they also have a flying club too. They provide training for VATSIM and once again, with me looking into the VATSIM side of things - this interested me also.

I did spot another popular one called 'cix flying club' that also appealed to me but eventually opted for FlyUk.

So, what are you a part of? and what do you enjoy most out of your VA/club?

Cheers,

Jim

Oh I forgot to add - this is not an Air Hauler listing - just VA's and clubs :) 

Hey James - is your company a VA or just Air Hauler? company? That would be something different as in with the usual VA's having passenger jets and so forth - have a VA that is purely cargo would be different. 

I´m member of Virtualairlogistics and Ravn Alaska virtual.

The first is very open, relaxed and pretty active. Using their charter flight system you can fly whatever where ever. They also have hubs and scheduled routes from Piper Cub to Boeings.

Ravn is unfortunately a bit dead. It could be such a nice VA. Their idea is to mirror the real world Ravn alaska, but there are many flights missing, especially in the smaller C207 - C208 range. Hopefully they wake up. I like that its strict. You have to clasifie for the planes and schedules by flying hours and by exams. Its fun. But since I´m more of a C207 type than a B1900, I miss flights and I hope things will change soon.

Its difficult to find VA with smaller aircraft

Definitely - I wanted to find one that would log my hours of GA flying and also not be so strict on the AC you can fly. Likewise, it is very hard to find such VA. 

FlyUK have a system where you can fly planes based on rank - so at the moment I am noob and have a choice of dash 8 q400, the dhc6 twotter and another one the name I cannot remember. Not so bad as I have Aerosoft Twotter and Majestic Dash 8 from Just Flight. 

Once I have logged 25 hours of flying in one or a combination of the above I can then fly those and a different set of planes too e.g. Airbus A320.

I want to fly 25 hours in the Dash (but I am learning the systems so far) and then move on to the Airbus A320 so I can use the Aerosoft A320 Extended :)

All in good time!

Take a look at this one: (I was wrong when I wrote virtualairlines. I meant virtualairlogistics)

http://virtualairlogistics.org/

There you can do what you feel like, when you feel like and whereever you like.

Try their short C172 or PA18flights from KMYL. They are scary. (you can substitute AC to the one you prefer in that size)

I am a pilot with DC-3 Airways where I fly the DC-2, DC-3 and DC-4.

I am also the owner of Pioneer VA - but I am reorganizing that VA at the moment and temporarily stopped operations.

It will relaunch later in the year. Pioneer will fly bush planes and old propliners.

I have been a member of a few VA's in the past:  

• My first was a gliding club, I don't recall its name, it was a few years back.  
  • Then I joined BA virtual, but found them a bit to ridged for my liking.
  • I then joined an outfit called Virtual International Flying Club (VIFC).  I was with this VA long enough to get on to the steering committee, and this VA, well its not really a VA as it is very relaxed on what and when you fly, is an excellent organisation with a very friendly bunch of guys, with a lot of civilian flyers.  They fly anything from microlights to 747s and allow you to book hours against all types. Why did I leave?  Well it is a Canadian based club and because of the time difference I usually had no one to fly with as they were safely tucked up in bed when I was on line. As for the steering committee, I was having 1 am meetings by Skype, and that is not sustainable. These guys come highly recommended from me if you live on the western side of the pond.

One other problem I have with VAs is that they are all civilian based.  Those of you who know you well will be aware that I fly solely RAF aircraft and that doesn't fit with nearly all VAs and that's a big problem. There is very little that caters for my need and that flys the way I want to.

Last year I decided that the only way to get around this was to create my own 'VA' based on the RAF but not limited to just the RAF.  In 2015 I hope to get the time to build this 'VA' (- I must think of a better label - VAF?), It will be based on military aircraft and will allow users to create their own flights with no restrictions those below:

The only restrictions will be that:

• You cannot fly in unrealistic situations. So for example you could fly a Russian aircraft if the mission was say a Bear intercept, but you could not fly a joint RAF and Russian strike mission.
  • If flying alone, you must fly in aircraft of a country that is allied to NATO, So no solo flight as Russian, Chinese, North Korean etc. aircraft. Not much of a restriction as most Russian built aircraft can be flown by ex-Soviet Union air forces, now western allies.

The site will be at http://raf-sim.uk but don't hold your breath for it to open!

I have only ever been a member of one VA, and that was a long time ago, but I *think* it was FlyUK Jim. I originally joined to learn more about flying the different aircraft in FS9, but ended up joining the helicopter division and becoming an IP. I had more fun with the spinners as instead of flying routes we often flew the choppers as a group.

I've thought about DC3 airways, but with my work schedule I don't think I can commit to a VA anymore.

I've been flying with Pacific Airways for about five years. Currently at the rank of ATP commander. I like them because they are easy going, you are not required to fly VATSIM and as long as you complete at least one flight per month you're good. They have many hubs and you can choose the one you like, both in the U.S.A and in Europe. You can choose your own flights, fly as many or as few as you like and there is a charter section with more unusual missions.

pacificairways.net

Kasper,

Bush planes and old propliners is exactly my cup of tea. But I think you need acouple of smaller bush planes.

What about a C207 and a couple of smaller taildraggers. Evt older ones. I like piston engine bush planes.

Also think about what works in P3D. Example, The FSD pc-6 doesnt work in p3d. Orbx made a poll on what sim their costumers were using and I was surprised that a little over 40% were using P3d v2. And its growing.

@Donny,

You are right, the fleet is not complete at the moment. I have not yet decided which small bush planes will be included. Among the candidates are the Cub and Supercub, Bush Hawk XP, C185, C195, C206/C207, C337, Do-27, Beaver, Pzl.104, C182, Maule, and some I forget right now.

As for P3D - I don't own P3D and since FSX performs well on my system I won't be switching anytime soon. Once I get some pilots signed (I politely suggested to the old, largely inactive bunch to continue their virtual career elsewhere) they will have a say in matters concerning fleet, routes and activities.

If you are willing I can consult you concerning P3D?

Kasper

You can always consult on forums. And you can consult me as well. I just dont know that much.

My own experience is that most (all?) newer fsx aircraft, that was made for FSX only, work on P3D. Some may have license issues where the devellopper  dont want you to use their AC on P3D. When talking about these things on internet forums, you very often gave these super-I-know-evererything types that bangs along saying that you should only install in P3D what is made specifically for P3D. If not it may make a lot of damage on your system. While that in very few occasions may be right with respect of scenery, I have never had an AC damage my P3D system. But some just like to bang the horror drum.

Just some examples of good small bush addons that work in P3D:

The Real air Scout. IMHO, its the best small tandem taildragger bush plane out there. Its FSX only but works 100% in P3D and for 10,-$ its a steal.

The Alabeo C207, yes, its an ugly buggling, but its used A LOT in real world Bush flying. I kind of like the Alabeo model but others disagree.

The Quest Kodiak. Its very Lionhearty, meaning a bit cartoon feel. I dont mind that and prefer it over the Carenado C208 which I find to be very dull, with or without the Stolle FDE. 

The Lionheart Piper Pacer. A bit cartoon like as well, but very nice to fly. It has a floats only version as well.

The Lionheart Fairchild, I havent tried, but it looks like a nive addon and fits perfectly in your style.

Your propliners are spot on. Looking forward to the Justflight Fokker 27. I miss the BN-2 islander. A very capable and fun plane. The Flight1 payware is very good and works in P3D 

I personally like it strict on a VA, but I may be a minority in that. I like that I only have 1 aircraft to fly at the start and that I have to fly a certain amount of time to get other AC + pass an exam in order to go on. I dont specially like when everything is free. A good VA should have a restricted amount of hubs and AC. If not, it feels like: "what is the difference between being a member or not being a member (filing a pirep and see your name on a PC screen) But that is just my opinion and you should go for what you like. 

There are many nice places to fly. Alaska is the classical and its covered by many VA. Other nice places could be Papua new Guinea. Orbx has an addon there with very nice and very difficult places (problem is that at this moment they dont have an ICAQ; but maybe it could be fixed?). To this add real weather, which is very tropical, and you have a real challenge also for old propliners strugling to get over the mountains and through the skies in hot humid weather (real macho flying). New Zealand south Island, ORBX addon has hundreds of very small, very complicated grass strips. Some are to crazy, but fun.

Central Canada is very well covered by Buffalo Virtual. Its big, active and well organized. 

I have bookmarked your site and will follow what is happening. Please make a thread when the show is ready. Any idea on when you´ll have Pioneer Virtual up and running?

Donny,

Thanks for the feedback.

The VA will be relaxed on some issues and strict on other. I.e. you can fly any bush plane from the fleet anywhere from a base in VFR conditions, but you will have to pass an IFR exam to fly in IFR conditions.

For the heavier planes above 12500 lbs you will need to pass a type rating exam. So relaxed to where you fly - strict in what you fly.

We will not really have hubs - but we will have bases. Our propliners will fly routes instead of hub to hub.

There will be a lot of destinations available in the Pacific region, although I tend to go with Pacific Islands Simulation (and there also is good freeware available!) instead of Orbx for that region.

I like freeware to be available for the pilots and every payware plane in the fleet will need a freeware or default counterpart.

Limited start of operations will probably be somewhere in the spring.

Limited because not all training materials will be ready (so not all type ratings will be available) and I won't have all planes painted in the (yet to be decided) livery.

Also limited because I don't want a lot of "hit and run" pilots at that time, but only a few pilots who want to add to the VA.

Full swing operations will probably start in the fall.

Its good you have things straight. Do it the way you want it. 

This with aircraft that has a default or freeware version is a classical one, but its not really working anymore. Every day there are less good freeware. Some of the aircraft you have chosen wont have a freeware version in P3D (and some wont have a payware either)

2004 to FSX port over aircraft dont work in P3Dv2.x. They may show up, but wont have any clickspots and often the gauges will be gone.

I find it totally straight that you wont use P3D yourself, but its up to you to decide wheather you will let your VA be a P3D friendly one.

Another solution is to make 1 or 2 aircraft substitutions for each aircraft. This allows you to pick the "mother aircraft" you like and a substitution that will work.