Without sounding stupid, is it normal for FSX to have very little in default AI aircraft traffic? FS9 was always full of it! I've got the AI set up to ultra high, yet when I go to some of the worlds busiest airports there's hardly anything there. I'm looking at getting traffic X or 360 in the near future. Would that solve the problem? (without fannying about and programming stuff in as no idea how to do that)

FSX is good in many respects, but I do miss the interaction with lots of other traffic that I got with the earlier format. I hadn't noticed it as much up until now as I rarely fly airliners. ( though I have lots of them in the sim hangar.) Maybe I've got it set up wrong, I just don't know. :(

Alan,

It's been that long since I used the default FSX AI, I actually can't remember.

However, I can confirm any 3rd party AI add-on, such as Traffic X / Traffic 360 / Ultimate Traffic 2 will inject enough traffic for you.

Having said that though, I would recommend Ultimate Traffic 2 over the others.  I tried Traffic X first but found it fairly light on unless you were flying in England.  As for Traffic 360, I seem to recall the general consensus is, 'avoid it like the black death'.

Ultimate Traffic 2 has good coverage across the world, the models are reasonable (they are AI after all), and it has some nice tools.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

I use Traffic 360 and it will certainly make the difference for you over the default FSX traffic. You can get as much traffic as you want. I have not used Ultimate Traffic, but have heard only good things about it. Either one will be a vast improvement over default.

• Like 1

I'm in the Ultimate Traffic 2 camp. I tried Traffic X and didn't much care for it. I have no complaints about the switch and it certianly improves the AI.

• Like 1

I have UT2 but am using Aerosoft My traffic 2013.  You just load it into FSX and completely forget about it.

ebl3.jpg

You can see in the background at Barcelona Air Lingus, Monarch, BA plus the vueling beside me and on taxi.

Also Alan you have to take into consideration the time at each airport for busy or slack..

• Like 1

I love Ultimate Traffic 2, but it took a lot of time and effort to populate the UK and Ireland airports with the volume of traffic that makes it realistic. I don't use the Daedalus colour scheme (for obvious reasons), so I needed to add additional passenger (and cargo) airlines that were not included in the default (admittedly 2009 database) version of UT2. To be honest, almost the entire database of planes that fly in and out of the UK and Ireland have been replaced on my system with new models and textures, and I am still waiting for a handful of additional airline schedules to be released. I don't worry about having the most up to date schedules for every airline, but I do like to add any airlines that are missing.

• Like 1

I don't use any of the add-on AI Traffic packages at this time. A new computer is in the process of having FSX loaded on to it and AI traffic is a long way down the list.

However, in the past, I used WOAI (World of AI - http://www.world-of-ai.com/index.php)most airline packages are available on AVSIM. There is a handy search function that will give you information on which airlines visit your field.

One thing I do remember about the package is a warning about conflicts between FS9 and FSX AI. Here is a reprint (sorry, no permission requested, but it is freeware) of the "readme" file that I have stored on my computer. Hope this helps, Alan.

Quote:

Ok it is a little more work but here goes. First off, FS9 and FSX ai flightplans can cause a conflict, basically wherever there are FS9 planes showing up FSX planes will not. So if you dont convert the flight plans none of the default planes will show up as some airports. WOAI is the easiest to use and PAI it seems are not far short of releasing a FSX installer. I like to kep my AI separate, it makes for easy backup and removal. In your smobjects folder

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\
create a folder called AI. When you use the WOAI installer you can point it to this directory and it will place all its AI planes in here and that way it wont clutter up the Airplanes folder. Next in the FSX.cfg under [MAIN] enter the following with the Simobjects path list

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\Ai
this lets FSX know where the AI planes are. When you install the WOAI plans make sure you use the FSX ( under target)option and manual install and point it to the ai folder ie.
Under FSX path...C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

under FSX subfolder....SimObjects\Ai

All the flight plans will go to the default directory

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery

I then created a folder in the addonscenery folder called ai/scenery and copied all the flight plans there. Leve the default stff where it is in the scenery/world/scenery folder. You will need to activate this folder in the scenery option in FSx setup. Then run AIFPC. it will allow you to do batch conversions. Make sure first time that it shows traffic bgl and select under compile target FSX. Select all the flightplan BGLS and a folder to extract them to. When it done point AIFPC to the folder you extracted the flightplans too and change the flight plan file to “txt”. and select all the flight plan text files. Make sure that “Convert FS9 airports to FSX “is ticked as well as, “Renumber FS9 days to FSx days” and run aifpc. Now all your plans are converted simply overwrite the FS9 ones. All should work now, Just remember as you add more AI FSX will take longer to load. And make sure you have no duplicate flightplans remaining in the scenery world scenery folder.

UnQuote
  • Like 1

Default traffic is very sparse in FSX. I think UT is the best, but any traffic soft will give you much more. Try this for free and see if your computer can handle the increased traffic.

Edit: Well, link removed. If you are sure that its pirated...

• Like 1

I have UT2 however it does not work with FSX: SE and Vpilot so i am looking at other soft-wear to inject liveries into vatsim for the traffic. From what I remember it works well. As i don't use, I'd be willing to send it to you for p&p if want Alan.

Regards Tom

• Like 1

Default traffic is very sparse in FSX. I think UT is the best, but any traffic soft will give you much more. Try this for free and see if your computer can handle the increased traffic.

http://skyaitraffic.altervista.org/index.html

I have downloaded this one has I had not seen before,  Will try this instead of My Traffic and report back..

• Like 1

Something else to remember...

Though FSX will happily accept FS9 traffic files, i.e. any file with a Traffic*.bgl filename format (the same filename format FSX uses), doing so will suppress any and all FSX-format traffic files.  It's better to not use any FS9 traffic at all, or if you do, convert it to FSX format before installing the bgl.  There are utilities available to do that.  Be careful of WOAI and other downloaded traffic packages to be certain that they are specifically for FSX.

John

I have downloaded this one has I had not seen before,  Will try this instead of My Traffic and report back..

Its the ex ICE AI Traffic with a lot of fixes and credits added.

I have now removed these files from my system as they are pirated work..

Gunner, can you please remove the link on you topic..

There is a lot of talk on the internet about Sky AI Traffic (aka ICE Traffic) being pirated by way of freeware models being used without the developers permission.

We certainly don't condone it's use, World Of Ai (WOAI) would be a better choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, now i'm even more confused. I'm in no way a computer expert and hopeless at programming things. I have uninstalled FS9 so everything is FSX.  What i'd like is something that I can just shove into the PC and let it install in much the way other addons do.

That's what I'm thinking too John. Just want to keep it simple.

I have the same view with regard to traffic. Set and forget for me so I would re-state my recommendation of Ultimate Traffic 2. Set the level of traffic you want to see and then set UT2 to automatically start when FSX is started.

That's it :D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm running ultimate traffic 2 as well, and it's simple to set up and gives you plenty of traffic. Though some areas are more sparse than others.

I used to use Traffic X but found it a tad fiddly to setup proper.

It has one advantage though, it includes a large amount of updated AFCAD-files for airports that are just a runway with nothing else in FSX... most of those a a very good addition, since FSX needs parking spots to spawn the traffic in, but there are a few that messes things up or are just plain wrong as well... I know of one i Sweden where they used an older ICAO-code, so it sits on top of the default airport but at a slightly different elevation. Also I think there is one somewhere in the south of England where they set the ATIS frequency wrong, and to make things worse to the tower frequency of another nearby airport, causing total chaos if you use ATC in that area...

There are also two russian airports with the longitude coordinates set to west instead of east, placing them smack bang in the middle of the Atlantic ocean! 

• 2 weeks later...