Leg 42 - Pecus Mun (KPEQ) to Waco (KACT)

I’d been out in Texas for a few days helping out a friend with some crop dusting so Kieran’s arrival with the baton was perfect timing… I was beginning to get a bit tired of the same set of corn fields..
Pecos has a colourful Army Air Force history being one of 5 major training fields which was set up after the Pearl Harbour attack
I stopped into Alfredo’s Mexican for some takeaway vegetarian enchiladas before heading over to Pecos airport to meet Kieran.
Alfredos_Mex_zpssm1m6jnl.jpg

I’d been commissioned to fly an old Beech C-45 Expeditor to Waco (home of the legendary Dr Pepper drink), for a WW2 veterans reunion.

My co-Pilot, Noah, was a Texan born and bred, but was obviously feeling a bit of a 5th wheel in Pecos, and wanted to get as many flight hours under his belt as he could manage. I think he was a bit taken back when he realised that he would have to play second fiddle to a woman in cockpit, but my peace offering of some Mexican 'takeout' helped to smooth the way.
I had already looked at the route earlier in the day.

Route_gplan_zpsdk8qtbgh.jpg
We’d have to make a quick stop at Avenger field (KSWW), where I would leave Noah to take the C-45 on to Waco and I would ferry a Martin B-26 Marauder (one of the WASP exhibits) on to Waco for the show.

As the weather was starting to close in when I picked up the Baton from Kieran, I toyed with the idea of hanging out in Pecos for one more evening (the beers and Mexican fare made it all the more tempting).
Noah had been monitoring the weather and it was only going to get worse, so he was anxious to get going before we (and the baton) got stuck.

Beechstand_zpsvgb441ng.jpg

We did our pre-flight checks and then loaded some of the exhibits we had to carry to the show.

Cargo_zpsdpbws9f0.png
The Beech was an old cargo C-45H painted with the ‘Air Fast Freight’ colours.. She’d seen a lot of action over the last 50 odd years, carrying everything from aircraft parts to forces mail, but those years had been pretty kind and everything seemed to be in working order. We started up and got clearance to Avenger field.
Throttle%20Up%20RWY34_Pecos_zps4r5k8wen.

Lining up for take off

RWY34_Pecos_zpsewjazhmp.jpg

Turning East over Pecos

Pecos_turning_zpskytxf1s8.jpg

Pecos_turning2_zps8vxzfxn6.jpg

Climbing to 9500 ft
Pecos_depart_zpsxlq6kzyc.jpg

We’d been cleared to 9500ft which was just as well as the storm clouds were chasing us from the south west and if we didn’t make good time, we’d be stuck in it.

There were a few airfields we could divert to if needs be, and some bright spark had the foresight to put a basic Autopilot in so it wouldn’t all be charts… I was a bit dubious as the original C-45H didn’t have one, so we’d need to keep a sharp eye on the AI and DG throughout the flight as it was going to get a bit bumpy, and I never trusted new technology in old hardware.. call me a cynic.
We’d be following a route from Pecos over Midland to the MAF VOR, then East to the BGS VOR and then into Avenger AFB. Was pretty straight forward, but we could see the lightning to the west and the weather was starting to make my co-pilot very uneasy.

approachWinkler_zpsrczjq18n.jpg

We’d been making reasonably good time and passed the MAF VOR on schedule, but as we headed onto 050◦ we were suddenly engulfed in what could only be described as an iridescent haze.
Into_The_Void_1_zpsmptiyzwz.jpg

Trying my best to hide my concern, I got Noah to contact ATC for advice… the silence was almost deafening.

With his panic rising with every passing minute, Noah continued to broadcast our (estimated) position, and requesting confirmation.
The forecasted winds we’d expected on our journey had all but been blown out the window as we were buffeted about, and I could only watch as the altitude indicator sent us on one sickening rollercoaster ride after another.

I was starting to wish that I hadn’t had that second helping of vegetarian tacos when as soon as it had started, the strange lights disappeared and we were looking at a clear sky and Sweetwater in the distance.
Avenger_Lights_zpseghvijhm.jpg
Noah was still having no luck with the radio so I turned the transponder to 7600 just in case someone could see us, and started a slow descent to Avenger field. With no ATC or Tower guidance, and no smoke, steam or trees bending, it was hard to guess which runway would be best for a landing.
Avenger_Approch_zpsn2pstagu.jpg
I decided to head for runway 35 but found I was being blown off course just before the tires touched the asphalt.. Not the best landing, granted, but we were down in one piece.
Still no response from the Tower, so we carefully taxied across to the hangars. It was then that we realised every aircraft we passed seemed to be out of another era. No modern day jets, no Biz-jets, no general aviation.. no trucks.. it was surreal..
We finally parked up next to an Alpha B-24 and decided to check out the buildings. The lights were on so someone must be home..

Avenger_Nxt_Door_zpswwxcpkvv.jpg

As we walked around the base I was amazed by the number of vintage aircraft that they had managed to gather in one place..C46, C47, Alpha T-6 Harvard, Alpha T-6 Texan, DC3..  They all seemed so immaculate, they could have just rolled off the production line that morning.
Avenger%20night%20arrival1_zpsomfg6e9r.j

Avenger%20night%20arrival2_zpsxwugojzh.j
We came across the Theatre. Strange..Casablanca ? Ok, maybe it was a nostalgic re-run..
Cinema_zpsaki8iplw.jpg
We walked through the barracks area until we came to a large hangar where the doors were open and there appeared to be some signs of life, finally coming across a team of mechanics who were servicing the Martin B-26 Marauder. They must have done a great job on it as it too looked as though it had just come out of the factory. 

We were about to introduce ourselves when a smartly uniformed woman approached us. “Hello”, she said, “I’m Jacqui. We were wondering when you would get here”. "You must be tired after your trip. come and have some refreshments". 
abandoned%20terminal2_zpsk34zkr4o.jpg
We followed Jacqui to the mess hall which was full of predominantly female pilots. They must be having a party in honour of the WASPS..I'd read somewhere that during WW2 the base had been home to the Women's Air Force Service Pilots, and it looked like they had gone to a lot of effort to look convincing. The flight suits looked accurate down to the last buckle, and they all sported the typical bright lipstick and 30s/40s hairstyles. 
Noah and I were so tired after our flight that we declined the food and settled for what was supposed to be coffee.. but it was enough to keep us awake until we were shown to the guest accommodation. Simply decorated, no phone or TV.. Not that it mattered.. I was out like a light as soon as my head touched the pillow.
We awoke early and went in search of some coffee and breakfast, but as soon as we stepped out of the guest quarters, we were both confused. What had, the night before, been rows of barracks, hangars and vintage aircraft, was now just a handful of modern buildings, with a few aircraft parked up outside. Jacqui and her companions were nowhere to be found. They must have already left for Waco.

We walked to the hangar and thankfully the B-26 was still there. An elderly mechanic walked over to us wiping his oily hands on an equally oily rag before greeting us with a firm handshake. "So you're the lass who is taking this over to Waco, eh?" I nodded. "Better get a move on then lass". I asked whether Jacqui and her companions from last night had already left as many of the aircraft we had seen in our lights as we taxied from the runway had gone. He looked quizzically at me "what aircraft would those be, lass?" Noah, who was similarly confused by their absence pressed him for more details but he just kept on shaking his head and muttering to himself.

Taxi%20to%20Rwy22%20Avenger_zpsvw6nfelt.

Next%20morning_zpsnseivksh.jpg

As time was getting on we decided to drop it as we needed to continue our journey to Waco and there was still a lot of pre-flight work to do.  As agreed, Noah would be in the Expeditor and I would be taking the B-26. Noah went back round to where we had left the C-45 the night before and then taxied round to meet me. As I got into the cockpit, I realised that almost everything was covered in a thin coating of dust. I wiped my finger through it wondering how long the aircraft had been sat there unused. Before I had a chance to wonder about the strange goings on over the last 24 hours, I spotted Noah waiting for me.. Time to get this show into the air!
Avenger_Dept_line_up_zpsvzotfurq.jpg

Avenger_Replcmt1_zpsvkbdbaar.jpg

Leaving Avenger behind...
Avenger%20takeoff_zpsdfhy3euq.jpg
Noah's radio was working again, so after wheels up, I took the lead and set course for the Brownwood VOR and then onto Waco.

To_Waco1_zps391gnzgr.jpg

Approaching Waco
Waco_in_sight_zpsjyf13dvq.jpg
As I touched down and taxied to parking, my mind wandered back to the events at Avenger field..
Waco_Parked_zpsmcuupgg8.jpg
Perhaps we had been more tired than we thought, or maybe I should make an appointment at the optician when I got home. Try as I might, I just couldn't reconcile any of it.
Pilots%20Lounge_zpslq4ua8p9.jpg
As I walked into the Pilots lounge I bumped straight into John who had arrived to take charge of the baton for the next leg.

There was just enough time for me to get a large JD and ice (John was being sensible and grudgingly sipping on a soda) before taking a taxi to the nearest hotel with a bath I could sink in up to my ears.

It had been a strange couple of days, that's for sure.

classic.png~original

Bravo Steph! There's nothing like hitting the ground running.

I feel like part of this flight was a dream and the other reality, superb.

Thanks for ensuring the baton continues to make its way.

Cheers,

Joe  :hat:

Thanks Joe

What is it they say... its not the destination, its how you got there.

This PIREP I will remember as not only my first one, but a testament to the camaraderie, support and spirit of the Hangar.. [those of you who have helped me get this far know who you are]

Ps. I now HATE Photob0x ! How long did it take me to paste all those pics ! :gaah:

Minx

Oh Bugger Steph!

If that's your first PIREP for the ATWC, I'm scuppered.

They will find me out when I eventually get the Baton for leg49.

What am I going to write about? thinking cap on!

Excellent start to your ATWC career. See, nothing to it hey! :whis:

Great to have you on board. :thum:

Wowza Steph, you really put out a fantastic and surreal PIREP for your first outing, well done. :salute:

I do hope you brought that born and bred Texas copilot a beef enchilada and not a veggie one to get in his good graces. :D

Thanks guys :)

I have to take my hat off to everyone who does the ATWC. ..it's a lot of work but very satisfying!

Photobucket was a total pig last night..never had it run soooo slooooow

Definitely picked up some good tips on how to make it easier next time

:clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:

Wow, just wow.. That was a stunning first PIREP Steph, written like a seasoned veteran! And I assume you are now hooked on this little endeavor. ;)

Hope time will allow you to join in further along the route to Southampton! 

I do hope you brought that born and bred Texas copilot a beef enchilada and not a veggie one to get in his good graces. :D

Naturally.. he probably would have mutinied if he'd got the veggie version. Mind you, I did make him eat it before he came on board ;)

:clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:

Wow, just wow.. That was a stunning first PIREP Steph, written like a seasoned veteran! And I assume you are now hooked on this little endeavor. ;)

Hope time will allow you to join in further along the route to Southampton! 

Reckon I might be.. I can see why you're all hooked on it ! :D

Just remembered that I didn't post details of the spec, Freeware etc.

• Platform: FSX Acceleration with stock scenery (no Global, no Weather add ons etc.)
  • C-45H Expeditor  (Freeware) :Vladimir Gonchar's FSX adoptation of the FS9 D18S cargo plane by Milton Shupe

• Martin B26 Marauder (Freeware) : W. E. Stephens & Philippe Wallaert

• Scenery  (Freeware) : Avenger Field KSWW Tribute to WASP  Zebulon C. Gardner Jr. & Sidney Schwartz  [Note: this is a really well executed freeware add on, with some very interesting historical info about Jacqui Cochran and the WASPs . Well worth a look]

• Maps (Freeware): Plan G by Tim Arnott
  • Freaky 'Twilight Zone-esque' atmospherics:  Courtesy of my Graphics card, way too high settings and a major lightening storm.. will probably never be repeated (I hope!)

:D 

Fantastic PIREP Steph. How am i going to follow that?

Thanks John. I have to say that some of your previous PIREPS gave me inspiration :D

Amazing PIREP. Such a great read. I think I know what happened there... If you look at your starting point you'll note that you take a leftish route away from nearby Albuquerque NM.... I think you went to Bugs Bunny world. :D

We didn't get quite that far off course but NM does look like an interesting place to explore.. who could resist a visit to Weed or Truth or consequences! ;)

You didn't run into agent Mulder by chance did you Steph?

I didn't John, but I want to believe that the truth is out there..