Boeing 767 Pedestal Project

Rang Royal Mail first today... Not massively useful, they just passed the buck onto customs.

I rang customs & excise and they were surprisingly helpful, stating that I DO have a case and that I should submit a claim form along with all relevant evidence. £77 VAT I stand to receive if I win this case. Only bad side is 6 weeks waiting time to process.

Wish me luck!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Saturday 2nd November

New Features:

- Boeing 767 Throttle Quadrant

- Boeing 767 CDU/FMC

In Development:

- Recutting and resizing the Pedestal

Description:

Well, this is a weird one. I've actually had everything that I need for this update for months now. However, don't tell me I'm lazy; the reason for this late post is far from being my fault. Anyway, I am finally very pleased to get this update out there; it's a massive one!

Firstly, the Boeing 767 Throttle Quadrant.

Some of you may remember that the Pedestal project hit somewhat of a hiatus a year or two back. The reason for this break in progress was because we (secretly!) ordered a custom built, fully sized Boeing 767 throttle quadrant, complete with backlighting, annunciators, a functioning lock and lift spoiler and flap system... The full works. The only downside to this was that it was an enormous financial investment, and would mean that I couldn't really afford anything else for the Pedestal until it arrived; and since it was a custom built unit, construction took almost a year.

Anyway, enough backstory. I think pictures speak better than words so without further ado, here are a few pictures of my new baby:

100_3579_zpsaaf14d59.jpg

100_3572_zps13c23aec.jpg

100_3577_zps93bcceb7.jpg

100_3573_zps2b123d33.jpg

100_3578_zps863c6e53.jpg

100_3571_zps605cf0d0.jpg

The quadrant's backlighting:

100_3583_zpse189893d.jpg

100_3584_zpsc1711078.jpg

100_3581_zpse34ce759.jpg

100_3580_zpsfd51276e.jpg

100_3582_zps730912b4.jpg

Annunciators:

100_3587_zps887647e0.jpg

100_3586_zpsdd783998.jpg

100_3592_zpsbd069c4c.jpg

All in all, it's a fantastic unit. We decided to have one built for us rather than build it ourselves, since we would not have had the time available to produce a quadrant of this quality. Currently, I am working on an autothrottle system for the quadrant; I have done the programming for this, all we need to do now is fit the motors.

The quadrant was built by Roberto from Throttletek (http://www.throttletek.com/V2/). We paid around £1200 in total, spread over a year. 

Perhaps the most incredible thing is the story of the quadrant's journey across the world. Initially, when it first arrived, the quadrant was very heavily damaged and was, quite literally in pieces. Why? Because some customs idiot (and I'm sorry, but there is no other way to describe these people) managed to take it out of the crate for inspection, and then DROP IT. What's more? Whenever an inspection is carried out, a sticker is left and the person who inspected it has to sign their name on the sticker. So it was no surprise when I found out that my sticker had no signature...

After loads of initial panic, Roberto kindly agreed to pay for all repairs. As a result, we dropped the quadrant off at Phil from Simvionics' workplace, and he repaired the throttle (t'was one hell of a job) over the next two weeks. When we got it back, it was like a whole new quadrant. 

If anyone's interested, here are the photos of the initial damage by customs to the quadrant (photobucket album link):

http://s822.photobucket.com/user/Stratuspheric/library/767%20Throttle%20Damage

As you can see, the difference between the damaged and repaired quadrant is quite phenomenal.

The 767 CDU/FMC

Opencockpits have kindly sent me a Boeing 767 CDU/FMC unit, which shall be installed in the Pedestal in the future. I am currently reviewing the FMC and the review should be published on the hangar some time over the next month or so.

The FMC replaces our faithful previous FMC unit (which was only ever a temporary unit). The unit is fully backlit, complete with a colour VGA screen, tactile keyboard and all of the annunciators.

100_3419_zps2260d9f3.jpg

100_3414_zps8121e478.jpg

100_3462_zps2fec963e.jpg

100_3553_zpsd319de8b.jpg

100_3558_zpse6ba94eb.jpg

100_3566_zps49afc4e9.jpg

1_zps5d924263.jpg

That's all for now. Hope you enjoyed this update!

Cheers,

Jack

Thanks very much Brett & Geoff.

Naturally with every simulated flight I do I always find an excuse to turn the backlighting on. It's too good to ignore.

@Geoff - Funny you mention that - Phil, who repaired the quadrant (as per the update post), has a 767 cockpit. He paid... Nothing for it; he got it free (and I'm not making this up!), after making some panels for a customer.

The reason it was able to be fixed because it's not a "normal" company per-say. Roberto runs Throttletek by himself, and the components for the throttles are made by people all across the world. He imports them, and then constructs the throttles.

The panels on the throttle are made by Phil from Simvionics who is based in Manchester. As a result, it just so happened that since I live in the same country as Phil, we could run the quadrant up to him for repair. And, as you've mentioned, what a stunning job he has done!

Oh my Jack...

That's some very nice looking pieces of hardware you've gotten your hands on..

Is there any chance you will be bringing all that stuff to the Cosford show next year?? I plan on being there you see  ;)

@Micke, I think we will have enough kit to have our own hangar!

You already have your own hangar though  ;)

@Micke - Cosford should be no problem!

Great, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed the show will be on a date that makes it possible for me to get there...

• 1 month later...