January theme - Iconic aircraft

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Up a bit..." - nice one, Simi! Cheers - Dai.

wow, some outstanding shots already!

Here's the first of my icons. When I was young and lying in bed, this was what I would see hanging from the ceiling of my room:

Who else had the Airfix kit?

I did, and still have the model hanging from the roof. I also have the Monogram 1:48 kit (not assambled yet)

BTW! Nice shot.

My second icon:

FX9204.jpg

rarely has one aircraft been so representative for one nation in a certain period as the Spitfire for Britain in the early years of the war.

Of course, Hurricane shot down more German aircraft than Spitfires during the Battle of Britain, but it was the Spitfire that captured (and still captures) everyone's imagination...

I very nearly forgot to enter the contest.

I was rummaging through a yard sale and ran across this old WPA (Works Progress Administration) poster, circa 1938.

Floyd Bennett field was New York City's first municipal airport.

floydbennettwpa.jpg

And then I found this photo of a US Navy Grumman Goose stationed at NAS New York, circa 1942, known as Floyd Bennett field before the war.

Floyd_Bennett_Field_Goose_sepia.jpg

wow, some outstanding shots already!

Here's the first of my icons. When I was young and lying in bed, this was what I would see hanging from the ceiling of my room:

Who else had the Airfix kit?

I did, and still have the model hanging from the roof. I also have the Monogram 1:48 kit (not assambled yet)

BTW! Nice shot.

I too have one, but mine has had its belly turret removed (following it emergency landing in Germany) the hole is faired over and she now flies in the colours of KG200, the Luftwaffes special ops squadron! I,ll try and find some pics of it for you.

Well - I have a Vulcan 1/72, two Spitties in 1/72 and one in 1/24, a Lanc, A380, Concorde, Ryanair 737 and more! (check out one of my blog entries for more)

Anyway, back to the topic. Here are my three iconic aircraft.

The first is the English Electric Canberra. The reason being that it was the Mosquito of the jet age - fast, powerful, good looking and high flying. This one, captained by Wg Cdr Peter Helmore, led an attack of 27 Sqn on parked Egyptian IL-28's in Suez, the night of the 1 Nov 1956, destorying 4. It is seen here overflying the East Midlands Aeropark

-2011-jan-27-001.jpg

The second one is the TSR-2. Iconic because it has caused so much contreverse over the cancellation. Seen here is a 'what-if' Thunder City repaint

-2011-jan-27-003.jpg

The third one is a Westland Wyvern. A nice, big, powerful and noise aircraft to be flown off carriers - mad! Seen here approaching the carrier

-2011-jan-27-004.jpg

Thanks!