• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wing struts above the wing have to be big - they're in compression rather than tension and have to be beefy enough to not buckle. Wings struts below the wing are in tension and the load-bearing elemen

But can it lay an egg?   I've seen photos of that one before but don't know what it is or where it's based.  Such poor taste in flying objects is more commonly seen in the hot air balloon ge

What a cock up.

Posted Images

Yes, it is the Extreme Prototypes one. I'm staying true to form as well. I always said I was only interested in "Round" engines - these qualify.

I'm really happy with it. The rendering is fantastic and, although I've never flown anything like it, it seems to be quite realistic in its flight characteristics. There's nothing quite like a vertical burn to FL350 even if it is simulated. Extreme Prototypes has done a ton of research as very little of these aircraft remains. They even include RL-206 which was the first of the MkII, Iroquois equipped, Arrows. RL-206 never flew and all that remains is the severed nose-section that is in the Canadian National Air Museum. Lots of reading available and even a movie for those who might be interested.

As an aside; as a young engineer I worked in a machinery design studio that was owned and operated by an ex-Orenda Engines engineer. This man worked on the design of the Iroquois engine that was to be the power plant for the Arrow. Needless to say, we were not working on jet engines. Most of it, as I recall, was for the John Deere Tractor Company and Goss Printing Press. The Arrow story is quite a read and a huge embarrassment to most Canadians whose politicians definitely dropped the ball on this one.

Check out the panel

i-dsvRKp3-M.jpg

Over to Dizzy...............

Cheers,

March

I'll post something in a short order. I love the Arrow, even got to touch the nose of 206 and the wing section of 203. I agree with you March, it is quite a read about the Arrow and a huge embarrassment to our country. But some good did come of the cancellation, many of the designs of the Arrow made it into other aircraft.

Kind of a surprise this time, that was not much more than a SWAG. The "bow" of the top of the panel seemed to have about the right profile and the vintage looked about right. The RPM gauge had me fooled for a while - was thinking single-engine and doing some serious head scratching - finally realized it's a dual-needle gauge.

Does anyone know what that toggle thing in the middle of the yoke is? Built in gust-lock?

John

This one's doing well, John,

It's got me stumped. I was almost wishing it wasn't a production unit - easier to swallow when it might have been an experimental. For a second I was thinking Peter Garrisons' Melmoth I, but I think that was a T-tail.

Cheers,

March

Not a Melmoth either. For what it's worth, I've been an aviation buff all my life and never even heard of this thing until I saw this one. I took the photo during a tour of the new control tower here, a week or two before they opened. I thought it was a Navion too at the time but a friend who was with us and is a retired airline pilot set me straight. I did the research based on what he said and he was right.

Another clue in a day or so if no one makes any progress.

John