Which version of P3D do you have and what made you choose it?

Prepar3D: Which version do you have?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of P3D have you purchased?

• Academic License - $59.95
    • Professional License - $199.00
    • Professional License Plus - $2,300
    • Developer License $9.99/$19.99 a month
    • I don't have P3D

I am seriously thinking of moving to P3D and, having watched Froogle's video on v3, I am curious to know which version of P3D is being used folks here.

I am also wondering:

What were the motives for choosing to upgrade to P3D

What was the reasoning behind the choice of licence purchased?

How have you found P3D in comparison to FSX? 

Any information would be useful to me and probably to anyone else who is thinking of making the jump.

Currently using v2.5 - migrating to v3 when released later today..

motive: I am a tech geek and affordability aside, find it shameful not to be on the latest and greatest.. seriously though, I find P3Ds immersion much better because of the improvements

licence: academic $60, because I am actually a student still, but if not I'd happily swallow the $200 cost of a professional licence

comparison: for me, P3D2.5 is better looking, better performing and more difficult to OOM. hopefully v3 should look at least as good, perform better and if reports from beta testers are correct, almost impossible to OOM. Also some of the bug fixes release devs to provide more functionality ie the cloud position fix bug means that Opus is going to provide a wxr radar function :)

All in, $60 is v little for improved performance, improved functionality and cirtually no OOMs :)

Thankyou LM :)

I'm using v2.5 and have nothing but OOM. I won't be buying the latest version for some time as my spare cash has gone elsewhere. Luckily I still have 2.4 which I will reinstall for now as I never got any OOM with that.

Have 2.5 & now v3, for me P3D looks to have deeper colours than FSX and seems smoother....waiting for developers to bring installers for v3 to the table....I do still run FSX, mainly use that for testing and Ideal Flight 10......I have a dev licence as I am trying to learn to create stuff and also I am involved in testing a product for release in FSX and P3D......

Am I correct in thinking I cab install both FSX and P3D on the same PC?

yes no issues there, however I have recently put them on different drives, only as it makes things easier for me.........I even have 2.5 and v3 on the same drive...

I am thinking of using the Developers Licence.  My reasons are

• It spreads the cost.
  • When P3D moves up a version, then I can cancel my Licence and open a new one for the new version. 

Cost per year equates at $99.50

P3D is on its third integer version in just over a year, so for a student licence it would have cost me $180 to keep up, and for a professional licence $599.97 over that period.

That is assuming that within integer versions are a free upgrade.  Are they?

OK, they have allegedly changed the license terms in v3. But TBH I'm still not sure about what they expect.

If you check out the "License Matrix of Acceptable Use" on this page http://prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/ then you'll notice that:

"Personal Computer Entertainment" is definitely unacceptable on any basis whatsoever.  (!!)     :icon_help:    (According to rumour, because Micro$oft insisted).

The "Academic License" is only available to "undergraduate students" or worse still "K12 students" (whatever they are).

The "Developer License" is what it says. "No matter if you are a seasoned developer, or just starting out, we want to encourage you to develop for Prepar3D."

On that basis, I don't think I fit into any of those categories except perhaps the first, which is explicitly ruled out.     :huh:

Am I the only simmer who finds this situation unfortunate, to say the least? It seems that if I wanted to use P3D I would have to knowingly lay claim to a pattern of use which is not in fact the case.

Cheers,

bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Dont worry yourself about the minutiae, LM don't. I am a card carrying student (woohoo!) but there are no checks as to eligibility, other than that ones paypal account is valid :) Any issue as to which licence is valid or not is entirely between yourself and your conscience (or god, if that way inclined). K

well...here's my two cents

we paid for a year’s Professional Pro Dev subscription,

we still have our v2.5 with plenty of time coverage left (at least 6 more months)

first and most important; we are developers and we need more than one active copy,

we choose a dev subscription which is renewable each year to support P3D development which is important for all of us non the less,

a dev lic expires; while the fully paid license doesn’t; you can re activate it for life,

and you will be covered for update as long as they don’t change the main version 3.x to 4.x

if savings is what you are after; then you also can buy 1 month none renewable subscription,

activate your copy; and buy a new one month access when an update comes out if your month has expired

So if you can install different versions of P3D next to each other on the same drive, then does that mean that each version has to have its own installer?. So if you buy a product for say P3D v1.x  then it wont install correctly for P3D v3.x?

Surely,  "No matter if you are a seasoned developer, or just starting out, we want to encourage you to develop for Prepar3D." is a way of saying that you can buy this licence option if you intend to, possibly, maybe, perhaps, at some stage, developing a repaint for an aircraft. Sometime, possibly perhaps maybe, when I get around to it......

So if you buy a product for say P3D v1.x then it wont install correctly for P3D v3.x?

not necessarily; different version could use different files sometimes

" is a way of saying that you can buy this licence option if you intend to, possibly, maybe, perhaps, at some stage, developing a repaint for an aircraft. Sometime, possibly perhaps maybe, when I get around to it......

lol,No!

develop with commercial intent

lol,No!

develop with commercial intent

Nope, it really doesn't say that on their page.  The word commercial doesn't feature at all in relation to a developer licence.  

What they actually say is "The program is also open to any individual or business who is interested in using Prepar3D to develop applications and add-ons."  The inclusion of individual and business specifically distinguishes the two categories, and 'develop apps and add-ons' clearly encompasses freeware, donationware, payware or simply personal use only :)

They are big and clever enough over at LM to make it clear that commercial intent is necessary if that is indeed what they meant, but they didn't (in fact precisely the opposite), so you can safely assume that developing commercially is NOT a pre-requirement. :D

Cheers K

At the moment I don't see LM or Microsoft going after use of P3D for home entertainment use.

However, when and if Dovetail brings out a new product based on essentially the same platform but licensed for Home Entertainment we might have a totally different situation.

They are big and clever enough over at LM to make it clear that commercial intent is necessary if that is indeed what they meant, but they didn't (in fact precisely the opposite), so you can safely assume that developing commercially is NOT a pre-requirement. :D

Cheers K

So the developer licence is the loophole.  It enables the ordinary FS user to purchase P3D without breaking the licence conditions, especially as there is no time limit to producing some P3D based product.  Wise marketing by LM.  You can have P3D but have to pay monthly for it.  Scale that up and it turns into a good, regular and persistent income stream for LM. 

lol :)

i don’t think there will be a version jump in the next few years,

it’s just not cool to jump every 6 months for renewals,

if i had to guess; id say v3.0 will be the last 32bit release;

there won’t be a 32bit v4.x if you ask me ;)

i do believe they will come out early next year with the long awaited 64bit (maybe P3D v3.5 64bit as the first step towards 64bit)

but I’d expect it to be a new application with a dedicated installer for 64bit, and a new subscription/lic for 64bit

I suppose the developers licence can be used as a try before you buy option while you develop you PC hardware to use it.

Before paying for a full licence $60 / $200 is a lot of money to throw at something only to find your system won't run it or you don't like it.

Hi Paul, I don't see why not.

We are all trying to be politically correct but if we did something they didn't like, they have the power to deactivate your licence, so go for it!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Hi Guy's,

I know this thread is kinda outa date, but just to throw in my two cents,

I had 2.5 professional

I got 3.1 professional, though It seems that I cant put on my Orbx Glo, L/class, Vect,  at this time, I don't think I would know how anyway as Orbx gas changed it a lot since I last installed into 2.5.

Anyway the reason I get Pro is simple in my view I am quite sure I don't qualify for the K12 thing at my age, while we are not allowed to use P3D for  (entertainment) use,  the P3D site clearly states that we can use Pro for "Training, Instruction, Simulation, Learning."

My thoughts on this are quite simple, given the level of High fidelity ad ons we use and the level of complexity in many cases, while we may fly for entertainment for the most part, we are included in last two options  (we are both simulating and learning), Qualified :)

regards to you all.

Tony.

I need to work out how the new orbx installing works now, lol.