Boeing 767 Pedestal Project

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Very close the the big update now. Just ONE part left to come.

Please note, this update applies to BOTH projects, so the SAME post will be made in each thread (Overhead & Pedestal).

This will be the biggest update since the start of my cockpit project! A video blog, screenshots and detailed write up will follow.

Jack :001_th_smiles89:

• 1 month later...

The Big Update

Is finally here!

I really hope you all enjoy this post. Pictures, 25 minute video, and about 5 brand new extremely expensive items to show you all. Please, sit back, and enjoy...

What is this update?

Well; it's big. It marks the arrival of video blog number 4, along with introducing some new modules/components/setups, etc for the cockpit project. It has taken many months to put everything together, and much longer to film the video and take the pictures.

This post is seperated out into sections. Each item has a dedicated section of its own, to make reading easier.

Enjoy!

Video Blog Number 4 - "The Big Update"

This video is 25 minutes long, and contains an in-depth "interview" (if I can call it that) with each of the items.

Due to its size, it has been split into 5 parts on YouTube. An enourmous thanks goes to Joe Lawford, for taking the (very large amount) time to upload these files to YouTube. Thanks Joe!

NOTE: These videos are *temporarily* publicly available. I usually set my videos to private, but to make it easier, they are public for, lets say, a week. After this period, only select members will be able to watch it.

These videos are a little blurry, so please watch in the highest available quality. Thanks!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Opencockpits 737 Autopilot Panel

If you're thinking, "why did you buy this for a 767 cockpit?"; then don't worry, through the use of some clever programs and scripts, it can be used to have an IDENTICAL function to a 767 AP/MCP Panel.

This item can be purchased from Opencockpits for around £325. It provides complete input/output control of a 737/767 MCP (that's turning things on, and seeing the result on the panel in the form of displays, LEDs, etc).

It is one of the most cost efficient solutions on the market at the moment; much much much cheaper than some of the £1000 options.

2m3_01g.jpg

2m3_02g.jpg

Here are a few pictures of me using it, in flight, with the Level-D 767 add-on for FSX. Software used is SIOC and Lekseecon:

100_1497.jpg

100_1498.jpg

Unfortunately, the SPEED rotary encoder and the HDG rotary encoder have push-buttons that are NOT wired; so I had to wire these myself to the master card.

Buttkicker Gamer 2

This product is what is known technically as a "Tactile Bass Transducer". It picks up all those low, rumbling notes (such as engine sounds, flap extension) and outputs them as virbation into your Desktop Chair. Let me tell you know, this one is AMAZING.

buttkicker_01.jpg

9450a890.jpg

And clamped to my chair:

100_1510.jpg

The amplifer, mounted, amongst a plethora of cables (and the Rudder Pedals!):

100_1511.jpg

Available for £149.99 in the UK, from the ShakerCentre and Flightstore.co.uk. I don't just use this with FSX; I use it all the time with FPS games such as Team Fortress 2, and it really makes an incredible difference. A review will be published on Mutleys'Hangar soon.

Boeing 767 HF Radio Panel

This item was received from America, taken from a real-world 767 that had retired. It is in great condition, and will be mounted in the overhead panel.

100_1513.jpg

100_1515.jpg

100_1516.jpg

This item cost $14425 new! No Joke! Just look at the removal slip...

100_1525.jpg

We will wire this item to the masters card and displays card, for inputs/outputs and 7-Segment displays, respectively.

Boeing 767 Cockpit Voice Recorder

The old classic! This item is in incredibly condition; the microphone still works! We have also removed the casing and had a look inside... It looks fantastic internally too.

100_1517.jpg

100_1520.jpg

100_1519.jpg

100_1518.jpg

As you can see, it is in beautiful condition. We will, once again, wire this to the masters card and get it working with the LDS767 add-on. Also, the gauge in the middle of the item will move in correspondance to the volume level detected by the microphone of the CVR.

TripleHead2Go, Quadruple Monitor setup:

I have finally accomplished something I've been looking forward to for a very long time. I now have four monitors running inside of FSX. Three of them are for me, and one has been placed on the opposite side of the cockpit, acting as a "First Officer's" display. I can now, finally, do duel-cockpit flights with someone else if necessary.

100_1505.jpg

100_1498.jpg

100_1496.jpg

First Officer's Side:

100_1499.jpg

This thing was a nightmare to set-up though. The default Matrox software provided is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, so I had to spend days researching how to set-up the product. It turns out I had to design a custom resolution in the nVidia control panel, running at 59Hz instead of 60Hz; weird!

I got this second hand for £120 from our dear friend "Slopey" (Duncan Murray). Brand new, it costs around £200 (I think).

Again, a huge thanks goes to Joe Lawford for sourcing a 15" Monitor (that's the one on the First Officer's side) for me. I could not find one anywhere for a decent price. Thank you so much Joe!

Real-World Procedures - Australia VNC Charts

I received this from Australia a few weeks back. They enable me to do as-realistic-as-possible flights around Australia, perhaps acting as a supplement to my real-world traning for my PPL.

They are very difficult to source though; in many places these charts are out of stock.

100_1523.jpg

100_1522.jpg

I bought the Newcastle and Brisbane editions:

100_1521.jpg

Other Pictures, other News:/u]

I have sourced a second Saitek Yoke, bought through the Mutley's Hangar classifieds (thanks JD!!!). This is yet again another poke at the idea of doing duel-cockpit flights; one Yoke each for two pilots.

I hope to use the "Greater Axis Bias" method with FSUIPC for these Yokes. That is, the Yoke with the greatest Potentiometer deflection is the one that controls that axis.

100_1512.jpg

The Pedestal, Instrument Panel and Overhead are still going strong...

100_1507.jpg

100_1506.jpg

100_1505.jpg

100_1504.jpg

100_1503.jpg

100_1501.jpg

100_1500.jpg

100_1495.jpg

100_1494.jpg

100_1472.jpg

100_1467.jpg

That's all for now! Thank you very, very much and I hope you have all enjoyed the Big Update! More to come soon...

Kindest regards,

Jack :icon_thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Sunday 8th May 2010

Pedestal "Roadmap" announced!

As my focus has mainly been on a secret project, and the 767 overhead project these past few months, I think it is about time I detailed what will be happening to the Pedestal over the coming months.

As many of you know, the Pedestal is pretty much complete. It is fully constructed and has about 60% of the total avionics (that is, radios, transponder, CDU, audio panel and weather radar panel) installed.

However, this 60% is not 100%. This means that there are still a few panels (modules) left to be installed. It is my intention to get these modules fitted over the coming months. Unfortunately, due to the economic climate and other things, I cannot give a fixed date for anything, but rest assured it is constantly being worked on.

The avionics left to be fitted, in the order they will be added...

Opencockpits 737/767 Rudder Panel

I initially mentioned the inclusion of this panel before Christmas.

This module will be the first (next) thing to be added to the Pedestal. The Opencockpits module is a faithful rendition of the 767's rudder panel. It comes with a rotary "twist" knob (that controls rudder trim), along with two rocker switches which control aileron trim deflection.

Also included is a beautiful, 100% functional analogue trim scale. This means we actually see a needle moving across the scale in accordance to our trim setting(s).

RudTrim.jpg

A link to the product page: http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/rudder-trim-indicator-with-panel-p-277.html?cPath=48

This unit requires 5 digital inputs (ie my Master Card), and one servo input (which means I'll have to obtain a new Servo Card!).

Opencockpits 737/767 ADF Panel

This is the first time I've mentioned getting this.

Likewise with the rudder panel, this unit is 100% functional. As a bonus, it is also USB "Plug and Play", which means all that's needed is a direct USB connection to my PC.

ADF_Panel.jpg

Product Page: http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/adf-737-module-pp-p-236.html?cPath=22_61

Opencockpits 747/767 EFIS Panel

This EFIS panel controls what is displayed on the digital electronic map display infront of the pilot.

EFIS_Panel.jpg

The unit is a Plug and Play USB device, and works just like to real thing.

Product page: http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/efis-mounted-with-p-167.html?cPath=22_62

I hope you enjoyed this roadmap; it's a little window into what will come!

Regards,

Jack

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Affirm Brian!

In fact, I believe the Pedestal Project banners still read 747... Could you work some photoshop magic and produce some 767 ones? Just a thought!

Consider it done Jack.

I'll be in touch. :thum:

If you buy REX2 the pedestal project may go on hold for a while winka.gif

Just noticed your post Rob, are you prophetic! Haha!

The Pedestal is currently awaiting photography for an update; it's currently in the workshop and we are waiting for a very special component (circa 3 weeks time) to arrive. Unfortunately nothing until then! But take my word this time, in 3 weeks it'll be worth it!

We've also "matured" a hell of a lot in our design approach since the early days. It used to be the case that we'd throw in avionics from different aircraft to get a rough representation of what we wanted. Now, however, we are going for full functionality, which is why the Pedestal is undergoing a major revamp.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

The next big part for the Pedestal project finally arrived today, but unfortunately it has sustained significant damage in transit (no doubt due to customs fiddling about with it).

As a result, the next update for the Pedestal project is delayed until we can get these problems sorted out. The overhead project, however, is not affected in any way.

Many apologies.

Jack